First Time with my ECB Cheap Electric Brinkmann

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bookoobbq

Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Varina, VA
Well, here goes my first dip into my new hobby. Learning as I go. Acquired the el-cheapo ECB for free so testing out this morning. Going to need mods I'm already learning. Rubbed a small pork shoulder and whole chicken to test with and will throw sausage on later.

Initially, after seeing some videos I just threw chips directly on lava rocks. BAD IDEA. Burnt right up (even soaked). So I found these desktop organizers and made a half-ass chip box which is working for now.

Worked much better.

It's currently 47° outside and the smoker is maintaining 258° currently. I'll post more updates later. Pics don't show the smoke as well as video but the smoke is rolling thick!

Open to any advice or tips. By the way, I'm Jason, thanks for a great forum. Very informative.

You want TBS, or Thin Blue Smoke. To much Thick white smoke can impart a bitter flavor on the meat. It's also best to use dry wood, not soaked wood. You'll probably find that using chunks of wood will work better. 2"-3" pieces.

Reactions: bookoobbq
Yeah, the smoke thinned out to blue now. I keep having to add chips. Maybe chunks will last longer.

Thinks I'm noting and need to do.

•Buy some gasket material for the lid. Cheap metal isn't perfectly round and has some big gaps.

•Wireless Probe Thermometer

•Proper box for wood chunks

•Add a temp gauge to the lid.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky