first time using MES30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baconmaker

Original poster
Mar 23, 2022
I have used an older electric kettle smoker for years, and decided to purchase a new MES30 and the slow smoker. I am in the process of curing bacon for the first time and was wondering if I should use the heat in the MES along with the cold smoker? this will be the first smoke for both units.

If ambient temps are low enough to keep the temp in cold smoke range, I'd just cold smoke it. If not, I'd run just the cold smoker for a couple three hours, and then turn up the heat so it finishes at 145*

Reactions: tallbm and TNJAKE
If ambient temps are low enough to keep the temp in cold smoke range, I'd just cold smoke it. If not, I'd run just the cold smoker for a couple three hours, and then turn up the heat so it finishes at 145*
Temps are supposed to be 50 deg F and I was concerned the cold smoke will not be enough to get the finished product to 150 deg

You don't need to get the bacon to 140`150* unless you plan on eating it without further cooking. So long as you're cold smoking cured meat, it will be fine without fully cooking it during the smoke phase.

Reactions: TNJAKE
You don't need to get the bacon to 140`150* unless you plan on eating it without further cooking. So long as you're cold smoking cured meat, it will be fine without fully cooking it during the smoke phase.
Thank you for that info, the recipes for the cure stated to smoke to 150.

DougE DougE has you covered. As long as the bacon is properly cured you can cold smoke for hours. If not using nitrite then need to warm smoke to safe temp. Some people prefer that even with using cure. I just don't see the point in par cooking bacon so I can cook it later lol. I just cold smoked some beef bacon using cure #1. Had 2 separate 4hr smoking sessions. You can go much longer if that's your preference

I take mine to 145 internal temp . Slice and fry later . Always comes out great . You should decide which one you want to do .

Reactions: robroy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky