First time using collagen sheets with capicola

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininthegarden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Rocky mountians
I have to admit they are much easier to use than I first anticipated. I was having visions of the collagen tearing, having blowouts
etc. but none of that happened. They are very easy to work with.

Here are 7 finished capas ready for the dryer. I took lots of pics so I can post more of the process if anyone is interested.

Cal
36D5B022-3A76-4D7D-AD9D-40C88FB7E691.jpeg

smokin-
That is one meat product that is high on my priority list now that my chamber is up and running! Like! I'll be watching....
Hey swamp
When I started making capicola it was love at first taste, there just isn’t anything else quite like it. The taste
and texture are just out of this world. I’m starting to like it better than dry cured salami, and I love that.

Cal

Very interested in more of the process if you would be willing.
Hi smokinE
The initial process is very simple, just make a salt, sugar and cure mixture, rub half of it into meat
place in a zip lock bag then into fridge for a week. Rub in the remaining mixture then another
week in the fridge. Len poli’s site has a recipe that covers the details for this step.

After that is just a matter of seasoning, wrapping and netting. To start I cut the sheets to size.
Lay on a cutting board spray with water to help soften the sheet place the coppa on top then
sprinkle the desired seasoning over the meat to cover all sides.
6CD933D0-CBD2-47C4-9045-AD209750CD7E.jpeg

Next wrap the meat like you are making a burrito.
89F32B4C-45F3-4ED3-9F97-578ADEAE64F9.jpeg

Then stuff into netting, tie off both ends and hang to dry.
Yes my improvised Shasta bottle stuffing tube will have to go but it worked for the time being.
D09798C9-B931-441B-B975-86164C0C0E69.jpeg

Hang for 2-3 weeks @ 55 deg. and 70-80% RH or till 25-30% green weight is lost.
Here is the finished product ready for the chamber.
B6540D5E-CD28-4D1F-A78F-F118F725F778.jpeg

Last edited:
Smokin, thanks for sharing this. So those wraps take the place of a beef bung? Otherwise it’s the same process?

One of the smaller capicolas is done already after just 2 weeks in the chamber. The others seem to have
another week to go. As always the flavor and texture of this product is incredible.

Cal
73D7356C-FD87-4399-A6F2-0B078ECAB6CA.jpeg

Thanks.

Alright Indaswamp, which exact product is it?

Best regards to all.
According to the tub-ex.com site, the UMAI DrybagSteak is their "Tublin 10" product. There is no purchase link on their website, so I just sent an email inquiry about direct purchase. The company is in Denmark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky