FIRST TIME TRI-TIPPING QUESTIONS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Hello all. Bad stormy weather heading our way here in Southeast Mississippi, Not smoking anything today for sure. Last Friday I went over to the butcher shop and low and behold he had about 25 Tri-Tips cut vac packed and ready to go. I had to pick one out. I have never grilled one. I see that many of you folks are experts at grilling them. Just to let you know, I am fairly proficient at grilling huge thick 12 oz + filets without butter flying. I like mine medium and the wife likes hers medium well. I know that is against what most like but they are super tender and juicy. I have placed the Tri-Tip in the freezer for another day. QUESTION: Can I grill the Tri-Tip the same way as I do the huge filets? I don't marinade steaks. Only season heavy with McCormick Montreal Seasoning. Place in the fridge for a day or two on a plate uncovered. 10 minutes before I throw on the Weber to grill, I brush olive oil on all sides. Can I grill the Tri-Tip this way? I am not against any good marinade you may use. I have been telling the wife of 43 years that according to what I have seen and read on SMF the Tri-Tip is the ticket. Since this one will be my first one I want to hit it out of the park. Any marinades etc. or tips will be much appreciated. Thanks.
HAWG

Last edited:
Reactions: negolien
Yes, you can grill them like a thick steak, cause that's what they are. I usually just season with Montreal steak and then reverse sear, but you can direct grill them as well - just watch them. I like them medium-rare, but if it's a good TT with a decent amount of fat, it will hold up well to med-well.

Yes, you can grill them like a thick steak, cause that's what they are. I usually just season with Montreal steak and then reverse sear, but you can direct grill them as well - just watch them. I like them medium-rare, but if it's a good TT with a decent amount of fat, it will hold up well to med-well.
Thank you. Yes, I have to also be careful with the 12+ oz filet as well.

I like to soak in 50/50 wooster/soy mixed with garlicand red pepper flakes for a couple hours. Take out and hit it with cbp. Smoke until IT hits 120 then reverse sear. Make sure you cut across the grain. Tri tip is 2 different muscles. There are tons of diagrams on the google

I like to soak in 50/50 wooster/soy mixed with garlicand red pepper flakes for a couple hours. Take out and hit it with cbp. Smoke until IT hits 120 then reverse sear. Make sure you cut across the grain. Tri tip is 2 different muscles. There are tons of diagrams on the google
And you can throw 1/3 cup orange juice into that and its delicious as well

It has good fat as well.

10-4. Yep I saw that you really need to pay attention to the grain when slicing.

Did my very first Tri Tips yesterday . Smoked to 125 with mesquite , then sear in a hot cast iron pan . One of the best pieces of meat I have ever eaten .

That sounds delicious. Especially with the CI reverse sear.

Edit: I like to smoke them with a blend of pecan, hickory, and cherry.

Reactions: Hawging It
Too bad the weather will not be cooperative for you because smoked Tri Tip is so delicious.
Anymore, I just smoke my Tri Tips to 135ish and skip the reverse sear.
This is what I find to be the perfect method for tri tip. That is my wife’s favorite thing off of my OKJ. It’s so easy to cook perfectly and seldom takes much more than an hour. I’ve never bothered with a marinade on mine. I use mustard as a binder and more often than not I use Jeff’s rib rub. Maybe I will try a marinade one of these days. Not sure I will ever sear one but you never know.

G

This is what I find to be the perfect method for tri tip. That is my wife’s favorite thing off of my OKJ. It’s so easy to cook perfectly and seldom takes much more than an hour. I’ve never bothered with a marinade on mine. I use mustard as a binder and more often than not I use Jeff’s rib rub. Maybe I will try a marinade one of these days. Not sure I will ever sear one but you never know.

G

You and I are in the same boat there except I marinate overnight.
Once in a while, I am tempted to reverse sear but then decide to just let it ride in the smoker.

G
Sounds good

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky