First Time Smoking in 30" MES - 3 Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacobss914

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
North of Dayton, Ohio
I got the MES last night let it run to season for 4 hours at 275.  Got up this morning @ 4:00 to fire it up.  I have three smaller butts on the counter right now coming up to room temp.  All right around 6 pounds each.  I have a wood chip blend of hickory, oak, apple, and orange wood ready for the day.  Dry rub was applied yesterday, they where wrapped and stewed all night long.  I have the racks sprayed with Pam, and I'm ready.

For all this planning, I forgot to do one thing, charge my iPhone, so I take one picture of my before shot, and it dies.......  So sorry no pictures of the before, until it gets charged.  It also holds my shopping list, so the trip to the grocery will have to wait until I get a little bit of a charge on the thing.  Need to get some stuff for my slaw, but I have 12 hours.......

So it was a great day, they turned out perfect, got rave reviews, and added a warm bbq sauce, I made, and a vinegar based coleslaw, man was it good.  Great way for an 18 year old to spend his birthday with friends.

Coming out of the smoker.

044b89d0_IMG_0063.jpg

After resting foil wrapped for 2 hours and then pulled.

c64d653a_IMG_0066.jpg

Yes I managed a small smoke ring, made a charcoal chimney out of a sauce can, and placed two lumps in it, they burned the entire time the smoker was running.  And did not seem to change the temp management to radically.

I also smoked a few center cut sirloins at the same time, bacon wrapped.  Today, I'm trying a turkey, we will see how it goes.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky