First time smoking a ham.. need input

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hethercass1

Original poster
Jan 17, 2018
This is my first time smoking a ham and there are so many different ways to do it, I need some input on how to get the results I'm looking for.

I have a 7.4lb green ham. Uncured, unsmoked, uncooked, skin off and bone out. I'm looking to slice this into lunch meat as a final result. How should I go about smoking this? Should I cure? Brine? Inject? Any input will really help. I'm new to smoking. Thanks!

This is my first time smoking a ham and there are so many different ways to do it, I need some input on how to get the results I'm looking for.

I have a 7.4lb green ham. Uncured, unsmoked, uncooked, skin off and bone out. I'm looking to slice this into lunch meat as a final result. How should I go about smoking this? Should I cure? Brine? Inject? Any input will really help. I'm new to smoking. Thanks!

Here is a link with more links inside
Richie
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fresh-picnic-to-ham-daveomak-style.271820/#post-1789636

Hi there and welcome!

tropics is steering you in the right direction with that link.

I'm no ham guru having only done it once but I will share what I know. Here is my post on doing wild hog hams that were like like 4 pounds each and about 6 pounds of meat once smoked and deboned :)
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/feral-hog-hams-for-thanksgiving-with-qview.270690/

In short you will want to cure the ham which means using the appropriate amount of cure #1 (1/4 teaspoon per pound) along with salt, sugar, etc. etc. and letting it sit for the appropriate number of days so the cure penetrates completely through the ham meat.

I would think you would want to cure in a liquid cure/brine and if parts of it are 3 inches thick or greater that you may want to inject those areas with some of the cure.

If you pulled out the bone then it should cure more quickly if not rolled/wrapped up like one piece. When you smoke you would want to roll/wrap it back up like one piece.

If you have any other questions ask away :)

Thanks! I'm going to put it in a liquid cure for 8 days, rinse it and then leave it one more day. I'm hoping it won't be too salty. I'm thinking about putting a glaze on it before smoking. Any experience with that?

How much should I inject? I'm worried about it being too salty if I do that

That was a dumb question do I have to inject it? Also, can I put a glaze on it?

That was a dumb question do I have to inject it? Also, can I put a glaze on it?

With the 3 links I gave you,I believe 1 says how much to add by weight of the meat.
As for glaze if you glazed Hams before go for it
Richie

You wouldn't glaze until it is in the smoker and you would do it towards the end. You don't want the glaze burning up on you.
Apply glaze the same way you would in an oven.

Now, when do you plan to eat this ham? I ask because with most hams they are cooked and then warmed up in an over at a later time to be eaten and at that time is when I see glazes added. With that thinking I would assume it is best to add the glaze when it is warmed up/heated to be eaten :)

As for injecting I think that if you go with the low salt cure/brine and inject some of that into the thick 3 inch or greater, portions of the ham then you will be fine.

IMPORTANT: After you cure your ham (or any solid meat) you can do a fry test. Just cut a few pieces off and fry in a skillet and eat. If too salty then soak the meat in ice water for up to 6 hours and fry test again. If still to salty change the ice water and repeat for the amount of time you think it will take to pull the excess salt out of the ham. When the fry test is good then the meat should be ready to go.
I use this trick when I am using store bought kits or unproven cure/brine recipes. It has saved my butt a number of times already :)

Best of luck!

I plan on smoking it on 1/27 and was going to eat it after letting it rest an hour

I plan on smoking it on 1/27 and was going to eat it after letting it rest an hour

Then I imagine you would glaze towards the end and it would be ready to chow down on at meal time :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky