First time smoking a 12 pound turkey - any suggestions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snoova110

Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Central Illinois
Hey all,

I am going to attempt to smoke a 12 pound turkey...  does anyone have any tips?  I have smoked food before, but am not the most experienced smoker and never a turkey.  What temp should I shoot for and how long are we looking?  I have charcoal but also some cherry wood that was given to me by a friend.  Would this be good to use?  Let me know your thoughts!  I have gotten awesome help here in the past.  Thank you!

The very best tip I can give you, buy a remote temperature sensing device. They sell 'em everywhere for less than 50.00. It guarantys a delicious, juicy, AND safe smoke. Even after you learn your smoker, that thermometer will be priceless in your smoking. I never used one personally been smoking too long for that. Then I bought a new electric smoker, pulled out a Maverick I gave my Dad long ago and been using it ever since.

Cherry makes a pretty color to the bird and has a good taste.

Heres a bird I did. You can inject or brine or neither, just how you like it. Loads of ways here to do the same thing, just look around in the search engine.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/147498/smoked-turkey-a-bds-tribute

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky