First time smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Patrick_K

Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
I am looking to get my first smoker. Need some advice. I really wanted a 40" smoker and found this one,
but what i read on here they say it is a gen 2 and not very good. So i found this one but it is only 30" https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterb...-Electric-Smoker-with-Legs-20072415/205515767. Is this good one?

I am not trying to spend more than 300 dollars. I found what i think is a gen 2.5 smoker and it is 40" but it was 400 dollars which i really don't want to spend. Any advice would be helpful.

Sam's Club has the newest 40" with legs for $349.00. This is the one I have. Might be worth going up $50 from the 30" if you think you'll enjoy it and use the extra capacity.
https://m.samsclub.com/ip/40-inch-bluetooth-smoker/prod22014799?xid=plp_product_1_2
I can't speak to the other sizes or types. I can tell you, the bluetooth feature doesn't really work for the range I need, so it's pretty useless. I'm happy with it otherwise.

I have the MES 30 with a wireless remote and I love it. My only complaint is that I have to cut a rack of ribs in half!

Sam's Club has the newest 40" with legs for $349.00. This is the one I have. Might be worth going up $50 from the 30" if you think you'll enjoy it and use the extra capacity.
https://m.samsclub.com/ip/40-inch-bluetooth-smoker/prod22014799?xid=plp_product_1_2
I can't speak to the other sizes or types. I can tell you, the bluetooth feature doesn't really work for the range I need, so it's pretty useless. I'm happy with it otherwise.
Is this a problem on the 40?

I have the MES 30 with a wireless remote and I love it. My only complaint is that I have to cut a rack of ribs in half!

Is this a problem on the 40?
You mean the Bluetooth? I don't think the range is able to go any farther or through some walls, so it's not a Masterbuilt problem. I think that's just the nature of bluetooth. I can't go from the smoker (basement level in the back) to the kitchen (inside the backdoor of the main level) and keep a connection. So I can't be sure what the smoker or the meat are doing unless I go out there and check.

I think mine is rf not Bluetooth cause it picks up even from all the way across the house

I think mine is rf not Bluetooth cause it picks up even from all the way across the house
Yes, that makes sense. The 340g doesn't come with a remote. You download the Masterbuilt app on your phone and enable your phone's Bluetooth to link with the smoker. Then you're supposed to be able to monitor the temp of your meat, and monitor and adjust smoker temp from your phone.

Yes, that makes sense. The 340g doesn't come with a remote. You download the Masterbuilt app on your phone and enable your phone's Bluetooth to link with the smoker. Then you're supposed to be able to monitor the temp of your meat, and monitor and adjust smoker temp from your phone.
I see. Mine picks up through walls so it’s bout gotta be rf. Glad I didn’t spring for the fancy Bluetooth model lol. Now if I could only find my remote!

I am looking to get my first smoker. Need some advice. I really wanted a 40" smoker and found this one,
but what i read on here they say it is a gen 2 and not very good. So i found this one but it is only 30" https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterb...-Electric-Smoker-with-Legs-20072415/205515767. Is this good one?

I am not trying to spend more than 300 dollars. I found what i think is a gen 2.5 smoker and it is 40" but it was 400 dollars which i really don't want to spend. Any advice would be helpful.

Hi there and welcome!

I would spring for the 40" over the 30". As mentioned above you will likely have to cut meat down or in half to fit it in the 30" which sucks when you want to do a whole rack of ribs or a brisket. If that isn't the case for you than feel free to go with the 30" but as with most things its better to have a little more than not enough.

Also if I were to do it all over again I would ditch all the following features and get me the least expensive 40" unit I could find:

• Ditch the Remote - I believe the blue tooth version has been reported to never work. It is also basically mandatory to get a good wireless thermometer with an MES anyhow so you wont' be remote monitoring with the MES equipment. You have to walk to the smoker anyhow to put meat in or to clean, etc. you may as well just push the power button and adjust the temp while there, the remote busy you little once you have a wireless thermometer to monitor temps (if the remote even has that feature, I can't remember).
  • Ditch the Meat Probe - MES temps are NOTORIOUSLY just off so basically every MES ends buying a good DUAL probe (or more probes) Wireless thermometer. 1 probe to go in the meat, and the other probe to measure the smokers temp at meat/rack level. The MES smoker probe/thermometer is always off as well hence the need for the back wireless thermometer to have 2 probes to use one to accurately tell the smoker temp
  • Ditch the Window - Some guys like it some don't. To me the window dirties up too quickly to be usable or must be cleaned after each smoke to be usable. ALSO, once the smoker fills up with smoke it not easy to see all the meat in side to think you can inspect it like you do with a glass door oven. SO, for the lack of usability and the cost it adds I recommend ditching the window.
So, if you can save money ditching features I highly recommend you do that because they aren't really that important.
Things you will want to get if you own an MES level electric smoker:
  1. Dual Probe (or more probes) Wireless Thermometer. I usually recommend the dual probe ThermoPro Tp-20 but there are a number out there that do the trick and provide more probes which is a GOOD thing when doing multiple pieces of meat or using multiple racks. Heck I have to put 3 probes into my briskets and pork butts to get one in the right spot for the most accurate reading lol.
  2. The A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker (tray or tube). This devices allows you to burn wood pellets or dust and provides perfect Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) and does so for up to 9-12 hours or so!!!! You get perfect smoke with no fuss of babysitting the smoke. I set mine and go do other stuff around the house. This is awesome to have, especially for those overnight 12-14 hour brisket and pork butt smokes :)
I know I threw a lot of info at you but I hope it helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky