First time smoker.... Smoking a Beef Brisket ....w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinginthed

Original poster
Oct 22, 2013

Me and this lovely hunk of meat will go to war tomorrow morning. This will be my first attempt at smoking anything. Any tips? It is the point of a beef Brisket I had to have them cut it in half because it was just to big. It is currently a little over 8 pounds.

That is a pretty hunk of beef. There are sure to be many tips. Some may conflict. Find your recipe and stick with it. Keep notes on what worked and what didn't.

My tip: Use SPOG, cook it low n slow (200-225*F) until the bark sets ~160-170*F, wrap it in alum foil and continue until tender somewhere between 190-205*F.

Last edited:

All rub down and ready for tomorrow. 

So after reading about ECB's on here I made a few mods to mine.

I drilled some airflow holes in the charcoal bowl and also put in something so that the charcoal isn't sitting in the ash. 

we will see if that helps tomorrow.

My tip is to cook/smoke until internal temp is 190-205 degrees. How over long tht takes just hang in thr. Never go by time with a brisky. With tht ecb it may take lots of attention to keep the temps right but it can be done. Wrap at in foil and 170ish then let it go to 205. Good luck and don't forger the qview

The meat is in... I had some temp problems from the start. It was up to about 300 then I think I took too much off and it dropped to 200 I'm hoping if I leave it alone for a bit we can get up to 225. 

So I have conceded that I will not be able to reg the temp at any consistent temp so I am hoping to keep it in-between 200 and 250 and hope that it will avg out at 225. I will be buying a new smoker soon lol!
jk.gif
  My smoker and I are fighting!!!! I think the smoker is winning!

My tip at this point is to wrap it in foil, put it in your oven at 250 and have a beer.......
cheers.gif

I fought my little R2D2 for two years and never got a good handle on it. Then I found a propane burner (turkey frier) at a garage sale for $5 and converted my ECB to gas. It still works good today but my Cook Shack gets most of the smoking duties these days.

Brad

Yea, I don't think those ecb's were designated for a brisket. Although I'm sure some of tried and succeded it'll need lots of attention and lots of beer drinkn

After 8 hours it smells really good.... took my first temp and was at 140 I'm thinking I'll take it off at around 165 or so.... I'm guessing that will take another 2 to 3 hours. I'm basing that guess on nothing though lol because this is the first time I've ever smoked anything. When I take it off since I don't have a cooler to place it in I will wrap it in foil and put it in the oven on the lowest setting which is 170 degrees.

You'll want to go a lot longer than that for brisket, I bring mine to 195 for slicing and lately its been more like 200.  165 might still be kinda tough, you have not given it enough time to break down all that goodness inside to make it tender.  

Hope it works out for you, keep getting those pics in we likem.

So I should wrap at 170 and put it back in the smoker to finish?
If you are foiling, yes. I usually do it about 175 IT. Leave it to 190 IT, then wrap in a blanket and throw in a Ice chest for an hour. You are looking for 200+ IT to pull.

But the mostest bestest way to know is the toothpick test.

Last edited:
If you are gonna foil you might as well put her in the oven and lick your wounds. And have patience. You pull that sucker at 160 and you'll be eating a car tire. A very important part of brisket is the rest it needs after cooking to about 200 IT. Keep her foiled and wrapped with a towel or blanket in a cooler for at least an hour or two with some liquid (apple juice, beef broth, beer, whatever). You jumped in to smoking with a piece of meat that ain't the easiest, but you'll get there. Best of luck.

So how did it go?  Brisket can really test your patience and nerve.  Hope it came out awesome and we get to see some pics soon.

I would say the brisket won lol

I couldn't get it higher than 185 

it was still good just not as juicy as I would have liked

It had a nice smoke ring around it

I also need to get my cutting skills up as well lol.

I learned a ton and will be attempting to make another one soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky