First time smoker.... Smoking a Beef Brisket ....w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
While your bruises are healing you might want to take on a nice boston butt to get your confidence and hone your skills. Much easier and much more forgiving than a brisket.

While your bruises are healing you might want to take on a nice boston butt to get your confidence and hone your skills. Much easier and much more forgiving than a brisket.

Ditto. Pulled pork and chicken are great items to learn with. They are delicious and much easier on the cook.

As for your ECB; I believe wholeheartedly that charcoal (or wood for that matter) is the purist way to go when making BBQ, but the convenience my propane smoker affords me is wonderful, so I highly recommend getting one. Electrics are even easier to control (set-it-and-forget-it), but you lose some ability to burn at higher temps. There are other trade offs to consider so do some research and ask questions. But keep trying!

PS - If you get a chance, pop on over to the Michigan Members group and join!. It's an SMF subgroup where we post and discuss anything smoke related to Michigan and the region. (events, meat prices, gatherings, weather, etc..)

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/groups/show/27/michigan-members-group

Hope you join.

I am tackling my first brisket this weekend too. Ill be sure to share my struggles. I'm still a novice but have a 3 chickens, 8 racks of ribs and a Boston butt under my belt.

Does anyone have input on stalls on brisket? I read and had to put my butt in the oven for the last 90min to get through the stall. Would it be safe on brisket to do the same or just power through?

Originally Posted by SmokingINtheD  

I also need to get my cutting skills up as well lol.
Yeah you cut that one with the grain. Note the grain direction before cooking and either write it down, take a picture, or remember. Some guys stick a toothpick in to mark grain direction.

Be sure and check your temp gauge for accuracy   Never know !        If your temp gauge is correct and you are maintaining your temp, the hardest thing to do is just let it do its thing, hard not to peak probe and check. But the more you cook the more familiar and comfortable you'll get with your smoker, So far I would say your doing a mighty fine job. I have been doing BBQing for over 35 years (getting close to 40) and I am still trying for the perfect 10.

Gary

I stalled at 140 I felt like it was at 140 for hours
What was/is your pit temp?  Stalling at such a low temp and a long stall usually indicates low cooking temp.  That's absolutely cool if that's your intention ...I some times like to try to keep my pit below the boiling point but it sure causes low temp stalls and long stalls (and long finishing times).

Last edited:
The ECB isn't the greatest, but you can produce some good stuff with some practice:

View media item 145260
My retired unit from the 1980's.

As to finishing the brisket?  It is a question of how much smoke you want.  With the ECB it is really easy to over-smoke meat.

In our house we like a lighter smoke.  In that case, foiling and/or finishing in the oven is OK.  Once the required smoke flavor is reached?  Heat is heat.  Believe me, ovens run cheaper than charcoal smokers!

And with a lot less tending for long smokes.

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
Yep, I put my chimney on the fire grate of my Weber kettle or my Smokey Joe when I am smoking.

Don't know if it is true?  I have heard stories of cement actually "exploding" or breaking up from the heat of a chimney starter?

Not to mention the discoloration issues.

Yep. 

Somebody learned from a bad experience.

The good news is that they were willing to share for others!

Last edited:

After a two day tailgate, when ya do have to pee its like a acidwash..... heck it will even remove paint.
LOL sounds like a NASCAR event! Then again you know what they say,. ...You never actually "buy" beer....you just rent it for a while!
ROTF.gif

Yeah lol I found that out after I picked it up..... One of my many fails of the day!

So I just ate some leftovers and...... Wow what a difference it was so much better!!!!

I cut it the right way (I think lol)

Also I don't think I let it rest enough the other day. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky