First time posting and first time ever smoking.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmcatv

Original poster
Dec 13, 2016
Hello all. Been reading from the back ground for a week or so. Just bought my first smoker master built 30inch vertical propane. I knew pretty well nothing until starting to read these threads thank you..
Anyway yesterday did my first smoking and kept notes in my phone notepad. Thought I would share and you guys could let me know if and when I went wrong. Or how i could improve.
It turned out great so i did something right.
sorry if this is to long to bother reading but im going to copy right from my note pad. No editing just the real deal lol. Some might not even make sense.
1st smoke
Ribs (4 racks baby back)
chicken thighs 8
New propane tank at start of this smoking session.
Hickory, water tray full water/coffee
-5 outside, windy
Started smoker 12:30ish put wood chips on 12:40.
Started 12:50pm ribs in 225 F.
Smoker wrapped in fire cloth.

1:05 smoke seems to have settled not billowing out anymore. Temp at 225f

1:20 added wood chips. Prob could have waited another 10min.

1:42 temp had went up to 300f. Added tomatoes/peppers/onions to bottom rack for salsa and left heat blanket unclipped at the front to try to hold temp down a but. Smoke seems just right. No flare ups as of yet. Using cast iron pan with tight tin foil and three holes right in place of stock wood chip dish.

2:00 added wood chips temp was at 225f. Prob could have waitied another 10min for wood chips. Ribs look like cooking a bit faster than expected. Veggies just starting to show some signs of cooking.

2:20 temp 225f. Smoke looks/smells just right to me.

2:35 temp up at 300f again. I clipped front fire cloth wrap again. That seems to hold heat in to well. Leave open. Found some of wrap covering back vent prob some of temp rising issue. Took opportunity to cool it a bit and added wood chips. Veggies for salsa are ready to come out. Will pull them when i wrap ribs at 3:00.

3:10 pulled ribs to wrap them. Look alittle burnt (bottom rack was the worst) but not sure how they are suppose to look. Veggies should have come off about 20min ago. Dumped ashes out of cast iron, wood chips looked like charcoal wuth white ash on them (is this right). Put ribs back in wrapped. Also added chicken legs on bottom rack and put cast iron pan back on burner with dry wood chips in it. See how that works.

3:35 wood chips did mot flare up. More amoke than before and smell is stronger. Heat got uo towards 300. I opened up wrap and pulled it back from door edge. Heat settled back down. Wind has stopped so maybe wrap is to much now.

4:00 temp holding at 225. i like the way the wood chips smoke without tin foil over top. Seem to burn right down to ashes. Added wood chips. Chicken is getting color to skin already.

4:40 temp 225f unwrapped ribs put sweet baby ryes on them and back on rack. Sweet baby ryes on chicken and left alone. Added wood chips (wood chips gone right to ash no foil is a better way) added cashews to foil dish and put on edge of water tray. Lost alot of temp, wrapped up with fire cloth to try to gain temp back quick. Ribs felt pretty done.

4:53 back to 250f unwarp cloth a bit. And turned down propane to low.

5:00 moved cashews to top rack. Could hear grease frying in water pan. Had to add water to water tray was almost empty.

5:30 pulled everything chicken was 165f ribs bent to 90 and had to be bit off the bone. One rib rack that had been on the bottom rack was burnt beyond being able to eat. Wierd cause was the only thing that was lost.

Last edited:
Sounds like your first smoke and with a new smoker, turned out pretty good. 

I don't know a lot about Masterbuilt Propane Smokers--I have a  30 inch Masterbuilt electric smoker (MES 30). 

You said you had better luck with the dry wood chips.  Did you soak the first few bunches?  I never use wet wood chips.  Before you can get any smoke from them, your smoker has to dry them out.  This produces a lot of steam, not smoke, and I like lots of smoke on my food.

I know a lot of members use them, but personally I don't use the water pan at all.  Just personal choice.

Now temperature.  Are you using the stock thermometer on the Smoker?  Or do you have a separate digital therm?  Stock therms are notorious for being inaccurate.  There is a lot of good info on this site regarding therms.  Something else you should have, if you don't already, is an instant read therm.  You can pay a lot, or a little, depending on what you choose.

After reading all the info you included in your post (twice LOL), I'd have to say it looks like you have a pretty good grasp on things.  Some of the other members will be giving you some info on heat control.

Then its just practice..

BTW, we do like qview (pics of your smoke) included in a post.

Well done.

Gary

Thanks for response Gary. Answer to using stock temp gauge. Yes.. for now. I do understand it is probably very inaccurate, I had plans to purchase one but have been told to not purchase anything like that this close to christmas... lol maybe santa will bring something.
Also yes i had soaked my wood chips. But found i liked the smoke better with the dry ones. Dry they seemed to start producing a nice smelling smoke right away.
I smoked some chicken thighs/drumsticks and a 3 pound chicken today. With cherry wood. Wow did it smell good at my house. And they were great.

"After reading all the info you included in your post (twice LOL)"

Sorry about that not sure why it paste it twice on there. . I edited it out.

Last edited:
CMCATV, I'm not familiar with your smoker but I just wanted to say that was quite an ambitious first smoke ! 
icon14.gif

Sounds to me that for your first ever smoke you did a fantastic job!

I think you caught the bug now!!

Welcome to SMF!!

Al

Crazymoon ya i like to dive right in when i learn something new. I knew from reading on here what needed to be done but was nervous to do it, that was why i babysat it so much and wrote the log. Even took the chance and had my brother and his wife over for dinner that night. But did warn him we are either having ribs/chicken or peanut butter sandwiches lol.

SmokenAl o ya i have caught the bug.

Btw that salsa ever turn out good. Seen it on here in another post. very simple. I halfed 2 tomatoes, 2 peppers, one onion. Smoked them cut side up (for time seen in log). Than in bullet blender for a few seconds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky