first time pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billy48

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
howell n.j
I would like to try smoking a pastrami. I have a brinkman charcoal smoker. any suggestions on temp, meat size and wood flavor . i was going to use jeffs rub which i have beeen using since i started smoking .just recived new digital thermomator wanted to try it out.

There are several threads on pastrami. Just type it in the search at the top. Basically you start with a corned beef. Soak it in water for about 8-10 hours to get some of the salt out. Change the water every couple of hours. Put on a basic beef rub without any salt in it. I use EVOO, garlic powder, onion powder, CBP. I slso sprinkle the little spice pack that comes with the corned beef over the top. Wrap it in saran wrap and in the fridge overnight. Set smoker to 225 & smoke to 165, then foil & take to 205. Wrap in blankets & put in dry cooler for a couple of hours, You can leave it in the cooler for up to 6 hours & it will still be piping hot. I like to let it cool a bit then put in fridge overnight. Then slice paper thin ACROSS the grain. Be prepared for a long smoke. 10-15 hours, they tend to stall frequently, DON'T raise the temp to get past the stall. I've had them stall & even loose temp. for a couple of hours before they start to rise again.  You don't even have to put the probe in for the first 4 or 5 hours. It will probably take 6-8 hours to get to 165, but every piece of meat is different. If you happen to go past 165 before foiling it's OK. I have smoked them without foiling at all. They taste just as good, just not quite as tender. For the wood I use hickory. Hope this helps, Good luck.
I would like to try smoking a pastrami. I have a brinkman charcoal smoker. any suggestions on temp, meat size and wood flavor . i was going to use jeffs rub which i have beeen using since i started smoking .just recived new digital thermomator wanted to try it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoity toit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky