• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

first time pastrami

billy48

Smoke Blower
Joined Sep 6, 2010
I would like to try smoking a pastrami. I have a brinkman charcoal smoker. any suggestions on temp, meat size and wood flavor . i was going to use jeffs rub which i have beeen using since i started smoking .just recived new digital thermomator wanted to try it out.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
There are several threads on pastrami. Just type it in the search at the top. Basically you start with a corned beef. Soak it in water for about 8-10 hours to get some of the salt out. Change the water every couple of hours. Put on a basic beef rub without any salt in it. I use EVOO, garlic powder, onion powder, CBP. I slso sprinkle the little spice pack that comes with the corned beef over the top. Wrap it in saran wrap and in the fridge overnight. Set smoker to 225 & smoke to 165, then foil & take to 205. Wrap in blankets & put in dry cooler for a couple of hours, You can leave it in the cooler for up to 6 hours & it will still be piping hot. I like to let it cool a bit then put in fridge overnight. Then slice paper thin ACROSS the grain. Be prepared for a long smoke. 10-15 hours, they tend to stall frequently, DON'T raise the temp to get past the stall. I've had them stall & even loose temp. for a couple of hours before they start to rise again.  You don't even have to put the probe in for the first 4 or 5 hours. It will probably take 6-8 hours to get to 165, but every piece of meat is different. If you happen to go past 165 before foiling it's OK. I have smoked them without foiling at all. They taste just as good, just not quite as tender. For the wood I use hickory. Hope this helps, Good luck.
I would like to try smoking a pastrami. I have a brinkman charcoal smoker. any suggestions on temp, meat size and wood flavor . i was going to use jeffs rub which i have beeen using since i started smoking .just recived new digital thermomator wanted to try it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.