First time offset smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Roku

Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
Hey guys. Finally decided to pull the trigger and make a smoker. I used feldon's calculator to come up with the pipe dimensions. I am using 24" pipe 40" for the smoke box and 14" for the firebox. The firebox pipe is 1/4" wall and the smoke box looks to be 5/16 but it is a bit pitted so I would guess 1/4 in the thinnest areas. The firebox looks a little small to me, but I figured I would follow the calculator now and then if/when I make another one adjust it to my liking.
IMG_0139.jpg

I did some CAD work the last few weeks and finally decided to pick up metal and start on it the last couple days. I am using 2x2x1/8" for the frame. I wanted to cope the tubes to fit the tube well. So I 3d printed some jigs to help with coping worked out pretty well. and got the fitup i wanted.
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

Got the frame fully welded up.
IMG_0348.jpg

Some random weld pics
IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_0350.jpg

Here is the smoke chamber mounted on the frame and firebox sitting next to it so I could see how it would look
IMG_0353.jpg

Lastly cleaned up the smoker with wire looks a lot better. Debating if I just want to keep it oiled or actually paint it.
IMG_0360.jpg

So this is where it stands now. Next steps I want to do are to cut the smoke chamber door. I need to pick up some 1018 and machine some hinges that I designed. And then a decent amount of plasma cutting and welding. Not sure if I want to fully tig everything or go in and finish all the heavy stuff with the stick welder. Hoping to get a lot done mon-weds this week.

I wish I had those skills, nice craftsmanship I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

Thanks for posting.
Dan

Reactions: Roku
Looks like you are off to a good start. I’m a bit concerned with the length and diameter of the firebox. I think a smaller diameter longer piece might work a lot better for you.

Looks great, I would have to build a 2 piece door on the fire box, separated in the lower to middle so when you open it to add wood the coals wouldn't spill out , nothing wrong with trading length of it to height but a air leak will let the temps run wild with a vertical stacked fire, similar to a gravity fed cabinet.

Those are some beautiful welds. I know this because my son Is a certified welder & his welds look like yours. Just fantastic craftsmanship!
Awesome!!!
Wish the welds on my Lang looked that good!
Al

Looks like you are off to a good start. I’m a bit concerned with the length and diameter of the firebox. I think a smaller diameter longer piece might work a lot better for you.
Yea thats what I was worried about too. The metal yard I got the pipe from is looking for some right now, not sure if I will be able to find a piece for the price I want to pay though.

Looks great, I would have to build a 2 piece door on the fire box, separated in the lower to middle so when you open it to add wood the coals wouldn't spill out , nothing wrong with trading length of it to height but a air leak will let the temps run wild with a vertical stacked fire, similar to a gravity fed cabinet.
Oh I might have to do that. Ill start drawing up something and see what I come up with.

If your local supplier can’t get you a piece of pipe that is smaller diameter you could ask a metal shop to roll you a piece or make a square firebox.

If your local supplier can’t get you a piece of pipe that is smaller diameter you could ask a metal shop to roll you a piece or make a square firebox.

What is a good length firebox to aim for?

Also is it more for fire management? Or does a longer firebox help in other aspects?

Hey guys sorry I disappeared for a bit ended up finishing the smoker and thought I would update. Finished it up in september and never came back to do a finish post.

I wanted to do something crazy with the hinges, so I designed some and 3D printed them to check fit and movement. I designed it with an integrated stop.
IMG_0225.JPEG

IMG_0226.JPEG

Also ended up designing and machining some lift points so I could easily lift it with my hoist and load it in my trailer when finished

IMG_0380.JPEG

First op of machining for hinges and lift eyes

IMG_0371.JPEG

Test fitting machined parts
IMG_0390.JPEG

After getting the machined pieces out of the way next was cutting the door. I wanted it to have a radius corner. So cut some out and then cut the door out with the plasma cutter
IMG_0394.JPEG

I definitely need more practice hand plasma cutting.
IMG_0396.JPEG

Tacked the hinges on before fully cutting the door. Used a long piece of solid stock to keep the hinges inline
IMG_0395.JPEG

Door cut out and hinges seem to be working and holding at the correct angle
IMG_0403.JPEG
IMG_0402.JPEG

Time to start welding the hinges out
IMG_0405.JPEG

IMG_0407.JPEG

IMG_0414.JPEG

I wanted to have my door lip on the inside of the smoker
tacked on
IMG_0424.JPEG

Fully welded out. took a while with the tig
IMG_0436.JPEG

Welding the tray holder. Also welded some 1/2 solid bar in there just in case I want to put tuning plates in later.
IMG_0476.JPEG

Welding up the firebox. Havent stick welded a ton so though I would give it a go to do most of the outside of the smoker
Firebox welded up and on the cooking chamber
IMG_0532.JPEG

IMG_0535.JPEG

IMG_0539.JPEG

Firebox door off the plasma cutter. Ignore the sandals lol
IMG_0544.JPEG

Firebox door inside lip welded on. Plug welded the holds on and then a few stitches to finish it up
61981254153__E3F328AC-BD1F-472F-A343-73B9B4F68304.JPG

IMG_0596.JPEG

Time to start working on the chimney side
IMG_0600.JPEG

Fabbing this took a bit longer than I was expecting but was super happy on how it came out
IMG_0635.JPEG

Door welded on. Plasma cut some hinges but wasnt happy with them. So I ended up cutting them off later. I ended up welding some bullet hinges on
IMG_0637.JPEG

Finishing up the firebox door I welded up the lip for the baffle to slide on
IMG_0679.JPEG

Finish welded the lift eyes on.
IMG_0642.JPEG

Putting the lift eyes to work

IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0685.JPEG

Got it home, fired up, and oiled up
IMG_0691.JPEG

Some ribs.
IMG_1181.jpg

Overall super happy on how it came out and how it cooks. I like the size of the firebox and it tends to work for me but would be nice to have just a hair longer.

Attachments

• IMG_0227.JPEG
    IMG_0227.JPEG
    92 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0371.JPEG
    IMG_0371.JPEG
    185.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0544.JPEG
    IMG_0544.JPEG
    252.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0597.JPEG
    IMG_0597.JPEG
    162.7 KB · Views: 128
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky