• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time offset smoker build

Roku

Joined Jun 20, 2020
Hey guys. Finally decided to pull the trigger and make a smoker. I used feldon's calculator to come up with the pipe dimensions. I am using 24" pipe 40" for the smoke box and 14" for the firebox. The firebox pipe is 1/4" wall and the smoke box looks to be 5/16 but it is a bit pitted so I would guess 1/4 in the thinnest areas. The firebox looks a little small to me, but I figured I would follow the calculator now and then if/when I make another one adjust it to my liking.
IMG_0139.jpg

I did some CAD work the last few weeks and finally decided to pick up metal and start on it the last couple days. I am using 2x2x1/8" for the frame. I wanted to cope the tubes to fit the tube well. So I 3d printed some jigs to help with coping worked out pretty well. and got the fitup i wanted.
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

Got the frame fully welded up.
IMG_0348.jpg

Some random weld pics
IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_0350.jpg

Here is the smoke chamber mounted on the frame and firebox sitting next to it so I could see how it would look
IMG_0353.jpg

Lastly cleaned up the smoker with wire looks a lot better. Debating if I just want to keep it oiled or actually paint it.
IMG_0360.jpg

So this is where it stands now. Next steps I want to do are to cut the smoke chamber door. I need to pick up some 1018 and machine some hinges that I designed. And then a decent amount of plasma cutting and welding. Not sure if I want to fully tig everything or go in and finish all the heavy stuff with the stick welder. Hoping to get a lot done mon-weds this week.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
I wish I had those skills, nice craftsmanship I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

Thanks for posting.
Dan

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Very exciting, really a great piece of work, you run a nice puddle too. RAY

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
Looks like you are off to a good start. I’m a bit concerned with the length and diameter of the firebox. I think a smaller diameter longer piece might work a lot better for you.

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Looks great, I would have to build a 2 piece door on the fire box, separated in the lower to middle so when you open it to add wood the coals wouldn't spill out , nothing wrong with trading length of it to height but a air leak will let the temps run wild with a vertical stacked fire, similar to a gravity fed cabinet.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Those are some beautiful welds. I know this because my son Is a certified welder & his welds look like yours. Just fantastic craftsmanship!
Awesome!!!
Wish the welds on my Lang looked that good!
Al

Roku

Joined Jun 20, 2020
Looks like you are off to a good start. I’m a bit concerned with the length and diameter of the firebox. I think a smaller diameter longer piece might work a lot better for you.
Yea thats what I was worried about too. The metal yard I got the pipe from is looking for some right now, not sure if I will be able to find a piece for the price I want to pay though.

Looks great, I would have to build a 2 piece door on the fire box, separated in the lower to middle so when you open it to add wood the coals wouldn't spill out , nothing wrong with trading length of it to height but a air leak will let the temps run wild with a vertical stacked fire, similar to a gravity fed cabinet.
Oh I might have to do that. Ill start drawing up something and see what I come up with.

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
If your local supplier can’t get you a piece of pipe that is smaller diameter you could ask a metal shop to roll you a piece or make a square firebox.

Roku

Joined Jun 20, 2020
If your local supplier can’t get you a piece of pipe that is smaller diameter you could ask a metal shop to roll you a piece or make a square firebox.
What is a good length firebox to aim for?

Also is it more for fire management? Or does a longer firebox help in other aspects?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.