First time home curing and smoking bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pit pixie

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Southampton England 🇬🇧
So I decided to try and make some bacon.
Its been curing for 7 days and left to air dry for 24 hours.
20220821_114920.jpg

Got my base of coals on the go
20220821_113813.jpg

Just waiting to add my second kettle of coals .

I am sure I see somewhere internally temp when finished should be appx 155°f
145F is all you need, so keep that in mind.

Wood is apple and cherry. I am alternating each log as I go.
Those are two of my favorite woods for bacon. For general smoking I’m using cherry and pecan.

You will soon be rewarded.

Reactions: Pit pixie
145F is all you need, so keep that in mind.

Those are two of my favorite woods for bacon. For general smoking I’m using cherry and pecan.

You will soon be rewarded.
So my temp is too high in the chamber?
First attempt so if it is we will be having belly pork for lunch today 🤣🤣
Or do you mean finished meat temp should be appx 145?
First time using apple. I like cherry and hickory. But they are so far the only woods I have used.

Reactions: JLeonard
First time using apple. I like cherry and hickory. But they are so far the only woods I have used.
Yeah for bacon IT should be 145 degrees. It is edible (safely) at that temp.
Jim

Reactions: Retired Spook
I’m referring to internal meat temperature. 145-150F is fine. You can go higher but the fat starts to render and changes the texture of the meat.

Your pit temperature is a little higher than optimal but you have to work with what you have, it will be fine. I assume you have a meat thermometer? If so probe in the thickest part and pull off the smoker around 145F IT.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Ok so my meat emp got to 170 at the fattest part so I have taken it off.
20220821_154424.jpg

20220821_155244.jpg

Its not bad taste is good. Fat is melt in the mouth. If I done it at the lower temp like it should be then I would of left it on but because I have done it so high, (as its my first attempt) I though over 3 hours would be enough.

Ill let you know what it is like once I fry it up as bacon

Attachments

• 20220821_154424.jpg
    20220821_154424.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 9
Looks good! In your future tries you don't have to smoke it to an internal temp of 145. You can cold smoke it around or at temps up to 80 degrees, or warm smoke to temps around 120 degrees. Each of us are different so have to try each one to see which you prefer!
What time is lunch?

Ryan

Your bacon looks great - especially for a first time go! MUCH better than my first slab!!!

My bacon smoke recipe is to smoke at 200-degrees until the bacon reaches 140-degrees internal temperature (the temperature at which point the fat starts to render - something I do not want).

Just my 2-cents worth :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_wink:

BACON ART 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky