First time home curing and smoking bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What ratio should I be using?
1lb of meat to 1/2 a gram?
I have seen the oink curing salt they sell it on the same site I got the pre mix from.
Soaking in water over night is a good idea it will withdraw the salt helping to stop the salty taste.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I don't think anyone is offended. We are all adults and most of us can carry a civil discussion. You are correct people have been curing for a long long time......back in the day it was also more common to die or get sick from guesswork. It's 2022 now and safety has come a long way. No need to be risky anymore with modern curing methods
I'll add this....If I make myself sick its one thing. But I share with my folks and people I work with. If I make them sick Its a whole 'nother thing. I'd rather be exact in my science than "be close enough". It just makes me feel better.
JIm

I'll add this....If I make myself sick its one thing. But I share with my folks and people I work with. If I make them sick Its a whole 'nother thing. I'd rather be exact in my science than "be close enough". It just makes me feel better.
JIm
Heck, I have people bring me meat to cure, so I'm right there with ya. If something makes them sick, it dang sure wasn't the bacon I cured for them.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have seen the oink curing salt they sell it on the same site I got the pre mix from.
Soaking in water over night is a good idea it will withdraw the salt helping to stop the salty taste.
Cure #1, which contains 6.25% nitrite and 93.75% salt, should be applied at 1.1gram per pound of meat To gain a 156ppm nitrite concentration in our cured products, this is safe.

Reactions: daveomak and TNJAKE
1.5 % salt
.75 % sugar
.25% cure #1

So for instance one of my pieces weighed 2662 grams
39.93 gr salt
19.96 gr sugar
6.65 gr cure 1
Do you see how I got that?

Ryan

You get your calculator out and adjust up or down depending on weight.

The only ingredient you have to get perfect is the curing salt - if you believe a gram calculator is required to do that, I have no problem with that.
So you can calculate volume measurements easier than weight measurements? More specifically how do you then apply things like salt, 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs? That’s just silly. Use the metric system and weigh the pertinent ingredients.

Not all cups or spoon are equal in volume and not all salt weighs the same. Big difference in weight between a cup of kosher salt and granulated salt for instance.

For 5 pound increments it is generally accepted that 1 level tsp. Is safe, but when you go over 5 but not yet to 10 pounds, with spoons you are guessing. Don’t do that.

Im sure your bacon is very good, but following advice given you can just make it better.

This only applies to raw meat. It won't help after it's already been cooked. But if you follow the advice given and ask questions next time you'll never have to worry about over salty cured meats again

So you can calculate volume measurements easier than weight measurements? More specifically how do you then apply things like salt, 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs? That’s just silly. Use the metric system and weigh the pertinent ingredients.

Not all cups or spoon are equal in volume and not all salt weighs the same. Big difference in weight between a cup of kosher salt and granulated salt for instance.

For 5 pound increments it is generally accepted that 1 level tsp. Is safe, but when you go over 5 but not yet to 10 pounds, with spoons you are guessing. Don’t do that.

Im sure your bacon is very good, but following advice given you can just make it better.
Thank you, sir. I just do not obsess over the little things in life and I haven't killed myself or anyone else with my bacon. Also, I cannot think of anything that would make my bacon any better than it already is, if I do not say so myself. Were you to decline consuming my bacon I would not be offended in the least.

Thank you, again, sir. I will seek your advice before I post further.

Thank you, sir. I just do not obsess over the little things in life and I haven't killed myself or anyone else with my bacon. Also, I cannot think of anything that would make my bacon any better than it already is, if I do not say so myself. Were you to decline consuming my bacon I would not be offended in the least.

Thank you, again, sir. I will seek your advice before I post further.
No need to be like that. I’m nobody to anybody, but I to have been curing a long time, made many mistakes over the years and refined my process over the years. I’m only trying to be helpful, if I’m not for you then please disregard. I cure sausage, bacon, whole hams, loins, beef, chicken turkey and wild meats, I have a big smokehouse and really enjoy the craft. Not trying to step on anyone, just offering my experience, take that for what it’s worth to you. Carry on and happy smoking.

Reactions: TNJAKE
OK now don't get mad at me but here are close-up photos from the packages of cure I referenced.
IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

Call me crazy, but I am SURE that if that Lawyahs at each respective company feared that a person needed to get the amount of cure accurate to the actual granule of cure, there would be hysterical warnings and disclaimers all over the package...

Thank you. And please have a great day!

Last edited:
OK now don't get mad at me but here are close-up photos from the packages of cure I referenced.
View attachment 641597

View attachment 641598

View attachment 641599

Now, call me crazy, but I am SURE that if that Lawyahs at each respective company feared that a person needed to get the amount of cure accurate to the actual granule of cure, there would be hysterical warnings and disclaimers all over the package...

Thank you. And please have a great day!
You are correct. My comments were not about cure exactly. We apply cure in a range from about 50ppm all the way up to 200ppm nitrite. It’s in a safe range, not an exact amount just in that safe range. We most all use 156ppm as a safe effective number and try to hit that number. This way if we are a tad over or under we are still safe as well as effective.

Making the best cured meats possible is more about process. This process gives us a safe product that is delicious, and 100% repeatable in production. Nobody is saying your ways are not good, but by de facto you can’t challenge other known ways either. 100 ways to skin a cat for sure.

Curing meats is done in a range.
This is in a safe range of salt, this can vary from 1% to 3% depending on applications and product.

Safe range of cure #1 or #2, again varies from application and process.

Then nailing that flavor through balance of sugar percentage and aromatics like garlic, pepper, Chile or others, and smoke.

Im glad you have nailed your bacon process, that’s great. I cure and smoke many different meats and sausages, even salami and salumi products. It’s a refined process catered to individual taste, but some rules do apply. Take no offense, non ment.

Just to repeat...

1.1 grams per 1 # of meat...
1.5% salt...
Weigh everything in grams...
t makes life easier..

Reactions: Pit pixie
I am a grams and ounce girl so I work with that.

Thank you all so much for your help. I will be trying this one again this coming weekend so any suggestions on recipes or flavours to add would be very much appreciated.
However before i start the cure mix I will be posting a tread, you all seam to have so much knowledge and experience I want to use to help me get better.

Thank you so much

Thank you all so much for your help. I will be trying this one again this coming weekend so any suggestions on recipes or flavours to add would be very much appreciated.
However before i start the cure mix I will be posting a tread, you all seam to have so much knowledge and experience I want to use to help me get better.

Thank you so much
One thing to keep in mind...at 7 days cure time you're at the bare minimum of time needed. 14 days would be better. The ones I smoked yesterday were in the cure 13 days, rinsed off, patted dry, and placed on wire racks in fridge for a day. Roughly 12 hours cold smoke, did get up to around 100 but I don't worry about that too much.

20220822_001515.jpg

Currently in fridge again for at least 2 days, maybe up to 4 days.

Ryan

Thank you so much
The people posting with a yellow OTBS member banner under their name have the experience to point you in a safe direction. They have been nominated to that distinction by the members of this site....mostly for being helpful and trustworthy with information they provide. With that said- I too weigh in grams for every cure I do. It is repeatable, and fail proof. You can nail the salt perfectly when you weigh it and ratio it to the meat weight.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
they look amazing!!!

so i could cure for a lot longer period of time, does that intensify the flavour?
The sugar travels into the meat at a much slower rate than either the salt or the cure. Curing for a longer time allows the meat to pick up more sugar into the meat, which cuts the harshness of the salt when eating it.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky