first time for short ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
finally found a local butcher that had some short ribs. been wanting to try them for a while now. got 2 slabs - one i trimmed pretty aggressively, the other i mostly left alone except to round off the corners a bit. salt n pepper rub for the first time - will experiment with more interesting things on the next cook. pit is up to 250 - ready to rock n roll.
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG

stay tuned for possibly a tutorial on what not to do to ribs.

6 hour mark. IT is 160 or therabouts. bark is looking nice. having trouble keeping the temps steady. the thing seems to want to swing wildly. this doesn't seem to draw as well as the char griller. i might have to do a stack extension. ghetto fabulous.
IMG_0331.JPG

Looking forward to the finish.

Beef ribs of any type is something I've not attempted yet.

okay. so those were delicious. not as juicy as brisket.. but then we only ate the rack that i trimmed the cap off, so that might have something to do with that. like burnt ends except every bite was a burnt end. and now, for the pics...

resting
IMG_0332.JPG

unwrapped
IMG_0333.JPG

and sliced. the eating part you'll just have to imagine.
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0335.JPG

9 total hours on the pit. 50 degree temp swings each way until i got fed up and let it rock at 300*F, then it was fine - held within 5 degrees. that was for the last 2 hours or so. gotta get some gaskets for the lids - they leak like crazy.

Looks good. I prefer beef ribs to brisket
they are tasty - and take less time to cook. plus you get that rub flavor with every bite. 2 racks did cost me more than a prime brisket 5 lbs heavier though. i think brisket is still my favorite - i can fit 30 lbs of brisket on my pit where i can only probably fit 20lbs of ribs.

okay. so those were delicious. not as juicy as brisket.. but then we only ate the rack that i trimmed the cap off, so that might have something to do with that. like burnt ends except every bite was a burnt end. and now, for the pics...

resting
View attachment 657509

unwrapped
View attachment 657510

and sliced. the eating part you'll just have to imagine.
View attachment 657511View attachment 657512

9 total hours on the pit. 50 degree temp swings each way until i got fed up and let it rock at 300*F, then it was fine - held within 5 degrees. that was for the last 2 hours or so. gotta get some gaskets for the lids - they leak like crazy.
No comparison IMO - Beef Ribs over brisket every time. Love a properly smoked brisket but Ribs are king in my book.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Great looking meal! And sometimes you just gotta let the smoker settle in where it will. Heck tomorrow it may run 225 degrees with no prob.
Jim

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky