First time doing baby backs - going to try 2-2-1

Discussion in 'Pork' started by billpetrie, Jul 18, 2014.

1. billpetrie

billpetrie Newbie

Greetings all!

Baby backs are on the menu tomorrow (along with copious amounts of adult malted beverages but that's another thread) and, since I'm still new to smoking, I'm a wee bit nervous. After browsing through the forums, here is my plan:

- simple homemade rub (garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, brown sugar, kosher salt)

- smoke for 2 hours (apple wood) at 225

- wrap in tented foil with apple juice for 2 additional hours at 225

- 1 final hour at 225 but unwrapped

Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I should do or not do? I'm using a Landmann 2 drawer upright smoker.

Thanks - many pictures tomorrow!

2. pighog

pighog Fire Starter

You'll do just fine, I promise! I do mine at 225 with cherry for 5hrs. I don't wrap in foil or use apple juice. Just pick your ribs up in the middle with tongs and if the ribs begin to break or separate......sit down and enjoy. Piece of cake, you got this!!!!

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I would check the ribs during the foil step around 1 1/4 -1 1/2 hours to see how done they are. If they aren't quite done take them to the full 2 hrs. If they are done pull them and finish unwrapped. Step two and three can vary a bit time wise. So keep an eye on them.  Like Pighog said I too prefer to smoke with no foil and simple rubs.

4. billpetrie

billpetrie Newbie

Smoke be rollin' and I be enjoying a Shiner!

5. billpetrie

billpetrie Newbie

Finished product. Damn tasty if I do say so myself! Thanks for the help!

6. pighog

pighog Fire Starter

Told ya it'd be great!!! Good work bud. They look just like mine.

billpetrie likes this.
  7. bobank03

bobank03 Smoking Fanatic

yep, good looking ribs! Nice Smoke penetration and the bark is perfect looking (IMHO). Very Nice!

billpetrie likes this.
  8. billpetrie

billpetrie Newbie

Thanks guys. Ended up NOT wrapping and just smoking until about 140 and then finishing in the smoker until done. They were as fantastic as they look. Thanks guys!

9. cinnamonkc

cinnamonkc Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

You'll do great!  Congratulations on your inaugural run!

10. cinnamonkc

cinnamonkc Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

hose look great!  Making me hungry at 8 AM!!!  :)

billpetrie likes this.
  11. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice ribs, ya can always try wrapping on another smoke but I'd say ya done a great job on your first BB's ! Thumbs Up

billpetrie likes this.