First Time Burnt Ends - Cooked 2 Different Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 23, 2020
So I did Poor Mans Burnt Ends. But I couldn't decide which method to use. So I did them 2 ways:

Number 1 Malcolm Reed Method
Chunk up the chuck roast and seasoned with Jeff's Texas rub. Put on a grill mat on top rack of Rectec. Smoked for 2 hours at 225, then put into a corning ware with BBQ sauce to finish off for 2 hours. The BBQ sauce was 1/2 cup of beef broth and 1 cup of Mad Dog and Merrill Hickory BBQ sauce.

Number 2 Standard Method
Seasoned chuck roast with Jeff's Texas rub night before. Put on Rectec at 225 until IT of 165. Then wrapped in pink butcher paper until IT of 190. Put in aluminum pan with the rest of the BBQ sauce for about 1 1/2 hours at 275.

Also made baked potatoes for 2 hours at 275.

So thoughts on the two methods
1. Bark on all side of meat was awesome, meat seemed a little dryer.
2. Much more moist but took more than twice as long.
So depending on time I could use either method.

Sorry in advance for all the pictures.

IMG_9899.jpg
IMG_9903.jpg
IMG_9913.jpg
IMG_9907.jpg
IMG_9910.jpg
IMG_9914.jpg
IMG_9919.jpg
IMG_9920.jpg
IMG_9922.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! It’s cool that you did the methods side by side. Awesome work!
Thanks!!!!
It worked out great with one done at lunch time and the other at dinner time. It was interesting to compare the two methods. We enjoyed both styles!

Reactions: bauchjw
It is sure fun to try new things and yours looks good! Thanks for posting your opinions as well...always ghelpful.

Nice work! I too like the fact that you did a side by side comparison.... They both look delicious!

No need....we like pics around here! 😋
I like to see pictures also. The comparative cook was fun, which was why I shared it. The really cool thing is the Malcolm Reed method is good for when you are limited on time. One thing I forgot to add is next time I would season the whole roast and cube, then cook. I added more seasoning to the cubes and it was overpowering with salt to some family members.

Definitely looks good! And no need for apologies for pics...can never have too many!

Ryan

Love this cook. I have only done them the traditional way but have been curious about the other method as well. Nice job.

Love this cook. I have only done them the traditional way but have been curious about the other method as well. Nice job.
First time either way. I want to do the Malcolm Reed way again and pay closer attention to doneness either using temp or the squeeze method he did. Since it takes so much less time it may become my go to method.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky