First time builder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

comosmoke

Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
Henley MO
So my neighbor made himself a rotisserie smoker out of a 300 gallon tank and won our rib cook off this year. Last week my boss gave me a barrel of the same size. Needless to say I am going to do one better. I'm going to build a rotisserie grill fueled by wood and charcoal. I'm thinking off an off set fire pit welded to the back of the barrel, running about 3/4 the length of the barrel which is 5 feet long. I am wanting to do a few one ups on him. The main thing being I am wanting to put a fan on the pit to keep the temp as close as possible to set temp. My neighbor said he wants to help me build it also which I'm cool with we are good friends anyways.(he's a union welder so he will be valuable). My question is what would be a good option for temp control. Should the fan be directed directly to the coals? Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to SMF!

I'm not a builder, so I can't help you with your questions.

I'm moving this to the rotisserie section. I think you will get better answers there.

Also would you swing by "Roll Call" & introduce yourself, so we can all welcome you to SMF!

Al

Reactions: comosmoke
Hello and welcome to SMF from the Great white North  
canada-flag-68.gif
. Browse the forums and ask lots of questions, get involved. There is a an amazing amount of info, recipes and knowledge here that are second to none. Enjoy good luck and share your experiences.  

I am not a builder either, and I have had this thought as well. What kind of fan are you looking at using? And power source as well as location? variable speed? 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky