First successful smoke - New MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cobble

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Boston, MA
This was my first successful smoke so far. I had a failed attempted a a while back on my Brinkmann SFB, and just picked up a new MES 40 today. Made a couple of rookies mistakes...forgot to mustard before the rub, but overall I was pleased, and I learned a LOT about the smoker in the process. Anyway, enough of that noise, ON TO THE Q-VIEW!

On the way in...

0e61b7cb_WP_000004.jpg

The chips finally spark up!

c16116f0_WP_000005.jpg

Shhhh...they're resting...

eee1745_Photo_ACCCE013-8902-2EF7-6C98-1E6D4C52AE32.jpg

Looks good. Need to clean my MES out and use it. Haven't had it on for over a year now. Next time you try ribs, try a thin coat of molasses on one slab to hold the rub on and see if you like it.

Those Ribs Look Great...

I do see one problem with the MES though,

Scroll Down

IT"S TOO CLEAN...
laugh1.gif
  Get Busy Smoking some more Stuff...

Ribs look great!!

Only suggestion is to wrap the water pan and lower drip pan with foil for much easier clean up.  To clean the window, I scrape the window with a razor blade the next day.

Keep Smokin'!!!

Todd

Nice job!!!

That smoker's great, isn't it?!?!

I only see one thing you might have done wrong----That little skinny piece is over in the hot side, but that's OK if you wanted to snack on it, while the rest gets done.

And like Todd said, get those pans wrapped in foil----You'll be glad you did!

I haven't needed a razor blade for my glass yet---I wash it with Windex & about 6 paper towels, in about 1 or 2 minutes before every smoke.

I know if I skip one time, I'll need to use the blade!

Bear

Looking real good Cobble! How do you like your MES? I have the same unit which I used for the first time last Sunday and loved the result. Today will be my second smoke, but at least twice as long in time. Good luck!

I am LOVING the MES so far. I'm so glad that I went with the 40, even though the 30 was a good bit cheaper.

Craig - I've already ordered my AMNS. Got the shipping notification. It should be here this week. I've got so many questions about how to use it though. I'll put them below on a related topic.

Bama - I have not tried molasses. I'm thinking it would be overpowering? Thoughts?

Paul - I'm working on dirtying it up a bit. This was my first smoke in it, but we'll get there.

Todd - Wrapping the pans is a great tip, one that I'd already read, but I was so fired up about getting the ribs in the smoker that I completely forgot to wrap the pans, and hit the ribs with mustard to help keep the rub on.

Bear - I want to thank you - I used all of your Q-view pics in your signature to help sell my wife on the whole smoker purchase. Of course, now I have to actually make those things, which is a tall order!  I didnt realize that there was a "hot side", thanks for that bit of info. It was good that I put it on that side though, because that strip of meat was done after about 2 hours, and when  I pulled it off, I realized that it was already smoked about as much as I wanted, so I was able to stop the smoking and continue with heat alone. If not for that strip, I probably would've kept the smoke on for another hour and ruined the ribs.

Which brings me to my questions.

1. I have no idea how long to apply smoke to anything. I figured half of the cook time, but in this case it would've been too much. It was close though, because I cooked for 5 hours and stopped smoking after 2.

2. Because I almost oversmoked these ones, I'm worried about using the AMNS and oversmoking with that. With a shorter smoke like this, do people only burn one row, or something like that?

3. Add water to the water tray, or no? I had water in there for about an hour, but took it out and hit the ribs with apple juice every hour instead. I dont know if I should put water in, or not. In what cases do you use water, and when do you not?

4. To sauce, or not to sauce? I used a rub on these, so I wasnt sure if I should've put sauce on them or not. I watched some youtube videos before doing this, and the one guy who had an opinion said that you only put sauce on the ribs that have no rub. What do you guys think?

Joe - The MES is probably the best purchase I've made since I bought a kegerator 4 or 5 years ago. They were both fantastic ideas, and justified the purchase immediately. Having a remote control that monitors everything is amazing. I've tried charcoal smoking here in the winter, and its just too damn cold for me to bother with a chimney starter at 5am. Now I can press a few buttons while I prep the meat, and everything will be ready when I go outside.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the feedback!

-Eric

Last edited:
Eric!!

I am glad you enjoy your new MES..

I had a blast when I first got mine. Still do.

The answers to all of you questions have been answered many times.

Get familiar with the handy dandy search tool up there^^^ and you will get hours of reading and knowledge.

Use short terms ..like water or no water....amazen...MES...

Have a great day!!

Craig

1. I have no idea how long to apply smoke to anything. I figured half of the cook time, but in this case it would've been too much. It was close though, because I cooked for 5 hours and stopped smoking after 2. Most of us just let the smoke roll the entire time, the key is to not have billowing white smoke, try lighting just one end of your AMNS, and keep the exhaust vent open all the way.

2. Because I almost oversmoked these ones, I'm worried about using the AMNS and oversmoking with that. With a shorter smoke like this, do people only burn one row, or something like that? Fill it up all the way. If your meat is done & it is still smoking just take a spoon & pull the burning sawdust away from the unlit dust & it will go out. You can use what's left next time.

3. Add water to the water tray, or no? I had water in there for about an hour, but took it out and hit the ribs with apple juice every hour instead. I dont know if I should put water in, or not. In what cases do you use water, and when do you not? Masterbuilt advises you to keep water in the tray all the time. I always did. Some don't, but I think it keeps the meat more moist.

4. To sauce, or not to sauce? I used a rub on these, so I wasnt sure if I should've put sauce on them or not. I watched some youtube videos before doing this, and the one guy who had an opinion said that you only put sauce on the ribs that have no rub. What do you guys think? This is a personal preference. I put rub on & about 30 min. to 1 hour before they are done I put sauce on them. If you use the 3-2-1 method, when you take them out of the foil put your sauce on them then. That being said there are many ways to smoke ribs and you have to experiment & find the way you like best.

I agree exactly with what SmokinAl said above, except maybe one item.

I haven't looked at my MES books lately, but I thought I remember them saying always have your water pan in, whether it's empty or full.

I don't remember them saying to keep water in all the time. I could be wrong---We're talking about my 62 year old memory here!

If I think anything needs moisture, I put water in the pan, instead of opening the door a bunch of times to spritz.

Al got everything else,

Bear

Initially, I did put water in, but after an hour or so steam started gathering on the window, and I was concerned about not develpoing a decent bark, so I emptied the water pan

I agree exactly with what SmokinAl said above, except maybe one item.

I haven't looked at my MES books lately, but I thought I remember them saying always have your water pan in, whether it's empty or full.

I don't remember them saying to keep water in all the time. I could be wrong---We're talking about my 62 year old memory here!

If I think anything needs moisture, I put water in the pan, instead of opening the door a bunch of times to spritz.

Al got everything else,

Bear
I think your right about that Bear, only 62 & you have such a wealth of knowledge, & a memory like an elephant. Hope your not as big as an elephant!   
icon_mrgreen.gif

I think your right about that Bear, only 62 & you have such a wealth of knowledge, & a memory like an elephant. Hope your not as big as an elephant!   
icon_mrgreen.gif
LOL---More like a Bear. On my way down from 6' 3", 254.

Now at 242---Shooting for 220----Would love to get to 210.

Some warm weather would help!

We got an inch of snow overnight last night!

I could probably easily lose 5 pounds, just by ignoring your posts, but I'm too nice a guy!    
laugh1.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky