First Spare Ribs with 3-2-1 method w/Qview

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smokeysooner, Nov 20, 2010.

1. smokeysooner

smokeysooner Fire Starter

Hey guys!

I am a newb to this forum but have been smoking meats successfully for many moons.  I always thought I had the best way to smoke spare ribs but I'm never too foolish to think that a new method or technique can't help and the 3-2-1 method is just talked about too much to NOT try!  As always, this was done on a Weber 22.5 grill, and I don't need a damn thing else. 

So here goes...

Got a lovely rack of spares and rubbed' 'em up and let them sit overnight.  I usually score a diamond pattern on both sides but decided not to on this occasion.  I used a mixture of apple and pecan wood with a little pear wood too, but only a few scraps.

Here is the slab going on for start of 3-2-1.

[​IMG]

Here is an hour into the process.. spritzing with AJ/EVO/ACV/local honey mixture and cooking at a steady 240F

[​IMG]

starting to take on some nice smoke after 2 hour

[​IMG]

and then this the last spritzing before hitting the foil

[​IMG]

and now what seems to be the longest part of the process...

Why am I not doing this in the oven?

[​IMG]

Probably only going to do 1.5 hours in foil because I do like some texture to the meat...

and I'll post an update when they're done!  Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday... we're getting ready for a football game here in Norman.  Boomer Sooner!

Bon appetit!

2. Sure does look good!  Hope the ribs turn out for you.  Boomer Sooner!!

3. smokeysooner

Hey thanks, bud!  Boomer Sooner to you too!

Here is the rack of ribs going on for the final hour...

[​IMG]

4. smokeysooner

Here we are all done and time to rest up... will cooler for an hour then slice around game time.

Smells yummy, hopefully not over... I pulled from foil after 1.25 hours and pulled from grill after .75 hours because this was a bit smaller rack.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  5. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

good job[​IMG]

6. smokeysooner

well, here we are... all finished up.

The ribs are amazing.  I will let them finish the full 2 hours in foil next time, but I was worried they might go over and either get mushy or tough.

At any rate, they won a rousing applause from dinner guests... along with the home-smoked sausages

[​IMG]

It went really well with mashed potatoes, broccoli with cheese sauce and a nice cucumber salad (not in picture) plus a few western sausages.

[​IMG]

bon appetit!

7. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Look like they ame out great [​IMG]

8. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

Those are some great looking ribs!

9. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now those ribs look great to me.

10. rp ribking

rp ribking Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Ribs look very good and nice qview.

11. smokingnd

smokingnd Smoke Blower

Very nice looking ribs.

12. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

they look great.  I love the 3-2-1 it works every time

13. dale5351

dale5351 Smoking Fanatic

Looked good to me also.   I've not done the 3-2-1 on either ribs or pork butts before, but think I will give it a try.   I've made pastrami twice now, and both times had to finish it in foil in the oven because the heating coil connection went bad and needed fixing.  It certainly turned out nice and tender and tasty.

I have to ask -- what was that sitting next to the ribs?  Looks like something tied up in a nice corn husk package.

14. smokeysooner

Those are home-made sausages!  I have a tread about them in the sausages forum.... they're quick and easy and soak up a lot of smoke.  Enjoy!

15. ugaboz

ugaboz Smoking Fanatic

looks good

16. thebarbequeen

thebarbequeen Smoking Fanatic

WOW! pretty ribs!!  I love your idea of putting the sausage into the corn husks.