First smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redrocker65200

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
South San Francisco, ca
My wife just gave me my first smoker. It is a smoke vault 18. It is propane, which was not my first choice, but what the heck. I have never done this before so i am sure there is going to be a learning curve. Anybody got any such suggestions for a newbie on how to ease into this? Also i must tell you all that i am a very simple guy. My hope is that i can set it, put the meat in, wnd enjoy a beef or 3 while the smoker does most of the work.

Thanks all, looking forward to the comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
I've had a propane smoker for over ten years now. I'd recommend getting a tube smoker from one of the sponsors here, Amaze N Smokers. I'd get the new expanding one. It's really the best method of producing smoke in a propane smoker.

Use the search feature here and look up "needle valve mod". If you have problems controlling temps you may need to install one.
I have one installed on my smoker and I can easily control the temps anywhere as low as 120 to a high of 500+

I prefer a dry smoke chamber and do not fill the water pan with water. I wrap it in foil for easy clean up and leave it dry.

Wind is your worst enemy. Shielding the air intakes with a simple plywood screen helps.

Leave your exhaust vent wide open when smoking. Stale smoke makes for bad Q!

yeahthat.gif

yeahthat.gif

I also have had a propane smoker for many years and the Most use it gets is with a separate smoke generator (as Dirt Sailor stated) from on of the above sponsors. i am fortunate enough to have some from both sponsors and they are both great products (i use them differently  depending on what i am trying to do) Todd and Dennis are both great to work with,

The needle valve mentioned above is almost a must mod for any gas smoker. Then, It is pretty much a set and forget.

Good Luck with the new cooker.

Lamar

I've had a propane smoker for over ten years now. I'd recommend getting a tube smoker from one of the sponsors here, Amaze N Smokers. I'd get the new expanding one. It's really the best method of producing smoke in a propane smoker.

Use the search feature here and look up "needle valve mod". If you have problems controlling temps you may need to install one.
I have one installed on my smoker and I can easily control the temps anywhere as low as 120 to a high of 500+

I prefer a dry smoke chamber and do not fill the water pan with water. I wrap it in foil for easy clean up and leave it dry.

Wind is your worst enemy. Shielding the air intakes with a simple plywood screen helps.

Leave your exhaust vent wide open when smoking. Stale smoke makes for bad Q!

Question on the needle valve mod. Do i cut my existing line and add the valve? Or is there a way to just take the existing hose off and put on a new hose?

I will look into the smoke tube options. My bro in law has the same unit as i have so i will ask him if he has any temp control issues.

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.

Installing the needle valve depends on the existing hoses fittings. When I did mine 8 or so years ago, I was able to get a needle valve with a hose that had the proper fitting. I just unscrewed the original hose at the smoker and installed the new hose. Mine came from Bayou Classic.

Most propane smokers are not insulated and most do not have a seal around the door. Mine does not, I fact the door is tweaked a bit from me moving it too many times. To could add a nomex seal if you wanted too. For insulation you could use a welding blanket. Just be careful to leave the air intakes exposed. Propane requires good air to keep burning and not turn into a bomb. I have never had to insulate mine, and I have used it regularly when the temps have ranged from 20f-30f. It will consume more fuel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky