First Smoked Filet with pics to come

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
So I'm going to do this all off-the-cuff and pray for mercy from the BBQ Gods. Picked up 4 filets at Sam's on sale for $12.99/lb (was looking for porterhouse, but I'll "settle" for these). My plan is very lightly season the cold meat with SPOG, insert probe, and smoke in my MES at 220ish until about 120 degrees.

While that's happening I'm going to get my cast iron pan screaming hot and ready for them, and also get my grill up to high temp. When the filets reach 120 I'll put them in the cast iron pan, and onto the grill for reverse sear to 135ish, basting in butter and garlic. Pull them off the pan and rest for 10ish minutes and serve with asparagus and baby potatoes.

I'll take pics as I go, but does anyone see a problem with this? I'm going to try to time this perfectly but I know I can't rely on the clock and that they're done when they're done. Any comments and suggestions welcome.

20200301_140002.jpg

Disregard the lemon, didn't use that. Put the asparagus in a ziplock with oil, red wine vinegar, SP, dehydrated onions. Put in the fridge.
20200301_143129.jpg

Reactions: Will Squared
Went faster in the smoker than anticipated. Onto the grill in the pan with butter, rosemary and a couple whole garlic cloves.
20200301_170551.jpg
20200301_170723.jpg
20200301_171202.jpg

Last edited:
I threw the asparagus in the pan after I took the steaks out and left them there a few minutes before putting them on the grill. Everyone loved them, they had a really nice smokey flavor, but still nice and crispy/fresh.

Great flavor, a little fatty (probably why the great price) but I left them in the smoker too long. Shoulda pulled them out at 100 instead of 113. But was still incredible. Will definitely do again.

Last edited:
Yeah, filets are not supposed to be fatty. That's what I like about them. Even so it looks like a pretty tasty meal to me.
If you put the meat in the freezer for a while and get them to around the freezing point before putting them in the smoker they will take longer to get to your target temp and thus get smokier. If that is to your liking.

If you put the meat in the freezer for a while and get them to around the freezing point before putting them in the smoker they will take longer to get to your target temp and thus get smokier. If that is to your liking.
Good tip.

Thanks Braz.

Yeah, filets are not supposed to be fatty. That's what I like about them. Even so it looks like a pretty tasty meal to me.
Thanks for the tip. I heard about that somewhere and forgot about it. I did leave them in the fridge until right before smoking, but I think I'll try the freezer for a bit before the next smoke.

Thanks everyone! SMF has been a huge inspiration for me and I keep telling everyone about this place.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky