First Smoked ABT's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cppbrian

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Southern Kalifornia
Today was my first smoke, I did a pork crown roast (thread in pork section), Dutch's Wicked baked beans, and ABT's

We did 4 different variations.
My wife made her stuffing with cream cheese, cooked bacon, and chedder. this was all stuffed in an upright jap with no bacon cap (trying to cut back)
Mine were cream cheese, Emeril's Essence, garlic, fresh herbs (sage, oregano, basil) all stuffed in an upright jap, then a wedge of cheddar was squished into it, and then topped with bacon.
We had a half Jalapeño left from the baked beans, so it was stuffed flat with the filling used on mine.
We had a single late season banana pepper that we stuffed with my stuffing and cheddar with a little bacon on top. The banana pepper was too skinny for my ABT rack, so I put a washer on top of it and it fit just fine after that.

They were smoked at 250 for about 2 hours. They turned out a lot hotter than grilled ABT's that I'm used to. my wife gave up after 1 bite, I ate both of mine, got the hiccups and only needed an extra helping of Dutch's beans to cool off with. My dad took one bite of the half jalapeño one and ended up with a burning mouth and a headache, so he took some aspirin lol.

here's the Qview!

Japs stuffed with cream cheese mixture

Japs with cheddar wedge shoved in them

covered with bacon, now ready to go

ABT's added to smoker

ABT's along with other smoked dinner items.

I'm not sure why these were so much hotter than grilled ones, I'm guessing because the length of time unlocks the oils or something. I will try them again, thats for sure. I guess I'll just hafta figure out some way to tone it down for the rest of my family.

I am still partial to a Lil Smokie in my boat ABT's......but you GOTTA have bacon.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Well they looked great.
As for the heat, if you cleaned them completely out and they were still hotter than normal most likely they were just a really hot batch.
I have heard if you have really hot japs you can soak them overnight in milk.
If you do a garden in the Summer you could do like I do for my Sister (she loves jalapenos ut thinks black pepper is spicy) and grow no heat jalapenos. All the flavor and none of the heat, they also have varieties that are a s low as 400 scoville units compared to the normal 5,000 for jalapenos.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky