First Smoke

Discussion in 'Pork' started by woodsey32, Jan 9, 2014.

1. woodsey32

woodsey32 Newbie

Just got the MES30 for Christmas. Decided my first smoke would be a lean pork roast. Seasoned the smoker for 30 minutes and then went to work!

I would post pictures of journey, but I don't have enough posts. I did a dry rub of chipotle mesquite over night. Then injected with 3/4c apple juice, 3/4c water, 1/4c kosher salt, and 1/4c sugar right before smoking. Then mopped the pork every hour with apple juice. Smoked over the A-maze pellets with 50/50 maple oak. Cooked to 150.

It tasted great! The roast was only 3lbs so it took 5 hours. I wish I had a thicker smoke ring than the 1/4inch I got.

I wanted to say thank you for all the advice I have received thus far. Hopefully the next one will be just as fun!

2. jarjarchef

jarjarchef Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Sounds like a great meal and a successful maiden voyage!

As for the smoke ring.....do to it being an electric smoker you will not get much if any smoke ring at all. I forget the full technical details, but it has something to do with the chemical reaction with the burning of the wood/charcoal and the meats that cause it. Basically the further you get away from using a wood/charcoal fire the less smoke ring you will get. There are several great threads on SMF that go way into the details about it.
    But a smoke ring does not make great BBQ. The proper cooking and execution of the cook is what makes it. Most comps don't judge on the smoke ring. I know when I went to my FBA judges class they told us not to judge for a smoke ring.

3. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Awesome Maiden voyage. I'm sure the first of many. Great Job

4. dave from mesa

dave from mesa Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]