• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First smoke with AMNS qview

mole177

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 28, 2010
Update: rest of the pix are in a few posts below.

Howdy, after the chicken last night, my AMNS came in today. So after a costco run, in the ECB at 2:20pm, outside temp of 54f, internal temp of 52f. I hope it's enough for the smoke.

Will post more after I finish the smoke.

question... What does "Q view" mean? is it just a means of saying "pictures inside? "

Do I freeze or fridge the cheese for resting?

matter of fact... I should go check up on the lactose pills. going on hour four.

Last edited:

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 19, 2010
Q-view is pix of your smoke.  Until you can teleport your products for inspection, pix are the only way we can see what's really happening. 
  We have a saying around here: if there's no q-view, it didn't really happen!

I age my cheese in the fridge for a MINIMUM of 2 weeks.  Phenomenal results.  As long as you have smoke, you should be getting the flavor to the cheese.  Keeping it under 90* keeps the cheese from melting. 

I don't smoke my cheese much more than 4 hours, maybe 5, so it might be time to pull soon.

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Wrap the cheese tightly in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 2 weeks and you will be ready to eat some really good cheese. What sawdust did you use

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
That looks good, you did a great job

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
Looking Grest so far... 

The AMNS will produce plenty of smoke for smoking do not worry...

Do what Scarbelly said for aging the cheese...

As for lactose pills if you eat that much cheese you might want to check on Ex-Lax Pills instead...

mole177

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 28, 2010
update!

bagged and tagged.

2 weeks ?

I thought 8 days would be ok :(

p.s. Does the "q" stand for anything in "qview" ? bbq view?

Critiques are welcomed!!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Go the distance - it is well worth the wait - you  got it right on the qview

richoso1

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 21, 2007
What is the AMNS siting on top of? I can't make it out. With the temps you mentioned, you shouldn't have a problem. Some cheese will begin to soften-up at >95°. It's all good my friend.

mole177

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 28, 2010
What is the AMNS siting on top of? I can't make it out. With the temps you mentioned, you shouldn't have a problem. Some cheese will begin to soften-up at >95°. It's all good my friend.
iced water pan in my ECB. I guess i didn't really need it with cooler temps.

bbqfarmer

ImpEx - Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
Joined Jul 13, 2007
Aged cheese does not have much lactose in it because the bacteria eats it all up.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.