• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Read a title about cold smoking with maple and lighter woods

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Joined
Oct 26, 2015
Messages
771
Reaction score
367
Location
Western Maryland
So I am interested in curing and hanging some deer roasts in my smokehouse and opening the by pass some to let most of the heat out. Keep fire smoldering for days to a week and then hang them in a basement laundry room.

Worse case its dog and chicken food. Thoughts?

This is what I am working with. By pass has a tight fitted damper. I may do a test burn and see if I can fill it with smoke and keep at 90 or below. Once hot in the fire box it pushed heat more.
smokehouse_snow.jpg
 
If the meat isn't cured, food safety dictates you stay below 40 Deg or above 140 Deg F.

EDIT: I'm sure you already knew this. Nevermind...
 
Last edited:
That is exactly how it was done back in the day. I did it a few times. You might be surprised with it. I personally was not impressed with it. There is not much info about it but I found cold smoking results MUCH lighter compared to warm smoking. For some reason I expected the opposite.
 
I'm sure you already knew this. Nevermind...
He probably does , but still worth a mention .
I personally wouldn't use cure one and hang it in the smoke house for a week at a 90 degrees . If using cure 1 , depending on outside temps , I would cure 14 days . Smoke at low temp on day one , and leave it hang overnight , Smoke on day 2 to a safe internal temp , and leave hang overnight . I'd pull on day 3 , wrap in uncoated butcher paper and go into the fridge for 3 days up to 1 week .
 
I asked on the shooters forum and reminded myself I tried this once with geese and it was hard as a rock. It would not slice like Prosciutto and seems to be hard to hydrate, eat and taste plain. It had the taste and cutability of soap stone.

I know, I cure geese and deer to chipped beef, but wanted to try dry storage. I may try an whole roast for giggles again at the same time as pork and compare.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top
Clicky