First Smoke- Picnic Shoulder with QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ivegotmoxie

Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Southern Maine
First smoke on the GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker. I've grilled burgers, dogs, potatoes and corn but hadn't had a chance to smoke...

Saturday I picked up a bone-in picnic at the local WallyWorld.

Cut off the skin and most of the fat, then rubbed it with SmokinAl's Pork Rub and Mustard.

Into the Fridge for 2 hours...

Smoker preheating to 225.

Shoulder on the smoker at 5:30PM Saturday evening. I sprayed it with water at 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 that night, then stopped spraying.

At 1:30 PM the next day (Sunday, 19 hours later) I got impatient (IT was 181) and raised the temperature to 275F. This really started the internal temp climbing. I wonder how much of that was breaking through the last of the stall and how much was the increased temperature of the smoker. No way of knowing, I guess.

IT of 203F achieved at ~3:30 PM Sunday. 22 hours of smoking! See below for delicious QView:

It had tasty bark and a pink smoke ring. I was pretty pleased with my first effort.

More delicious QView...

I pulled it with two forks, took no time at all. I made a sandwich, and put the rest in storage. It should last me a couple of weeks of lunches at work.

Thanks for reading! And thanks to SmokinAl for the rub recipe and method. I'll be doing this again. I might try 250 on the smoker to be done a little quicker, or try a smaller pork butt.

J.D.

Great looking PP!!! Nice job!!

Points!

points1.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky