1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First smoke on WSM QView

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by avas38, Jan 16, 2011.

1. avas38

avas38 Newbie

This was my first solo smoke (previously I only helped out) and my first smoke on my new smoker, an 18.5" WSM. Everything went smoothly. Thanks to everyone who gave me buying, smoking and curing advise!

I used a mix of apple and oak.

Chicken 4 hours at 225:

[​IMG]

Bacon 2 hours at 225:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pork Butt 12 hours at 225:

[​IMG]

Dinner:

Shredded pork, baked potato, garlicky braised beet greens and some buttermilk rolls

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice job for the first solo flight!  Lots of great eats there!

3. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice job! great way to break in the WSM! That all looks great!

4. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

Nice looking plate ya did there! everything looks great!

5. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Great Job there avas. You did one fine looking mess of food there. How did the bacon turn out for I have always done bacon in a slow and really low temp smoking for all I wanted was the smokey flavor and not to cook it. I wonder if you could just eat it straight now that you smoke it totally. How high did you take the bellie bacon.

6. avas38

avas38 Newbie

Thanks! In a perfect world I would have cold smoked the bacon, but I had the smoker going and there was room so I tossed it on. Plus, I don't have a good way to cold smoke, yet. The bacon turned out nice and smokey, but it could probably have used more. I honestly don't know how high I took it, probably between 125-150. I pulled it off when it looked like it had some good smoke on it, which was about two hours.

I fried a few pieces up this morning for breakfast:

[​IMG]

7. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

Looks Great...  The bark on that butt looks great, how was it...

8. avas38

avas38 Newbie

Everything was great! I can't wait for my next smoke.

9. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Everything looks great. Gotta love that WSM!