First smoke on WSM QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

avas38

Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
This was my first solo smoke (previously I only helped out) and my first smoke on my new smoker, an 18.5" WSM. Everything went smoothly. Thanks to everyone who gave me buying, smoking and curing advise!

I used a mix of apple and oak.

Chicken 4 hours at 225:

14178a03_031.jpg

Bacon 2 hours at 225:

49dde3dc_038.jpg

5bb5f647_063.jpg

Pork Butt 12 hours at 225:

72603181_086.jpg

Dinner:

Shredded pork, baked potato, garlicky braised beet greens and some buttermilk rolls

5555b9bc_102.jpg

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Great Job there avas. You did one fine looking mess of food there. How did the bacon turn out for I have always done bacon in a slow and really low temp smoking for all I wanted was the smokey flavor and not to cook it. I wonder if you could just eat it straight now that you smoke it totally. How high did you take the bellie bacon.

icon_cool.gif

Great Job there avas. You did one fine looking mess of food there. How did the bacon turn out for I have always done bacon in a slow and really low temp smoking for all I wanted was the smokey flavor and not to cook it. I wonder if you could just eat it straight now that you smoke it totally. How high did you take the bellie bacon.

Thanks! In a perfect world I would have cold smoked the bacon, but I had the smoker going and there was room so I tossed it on. Plus, I don't have a good way to cold smoke, yet. The bacon turned out nice and smokey, but it could probably have used more. I honestly don't know how high I took it, probably between 125-150. I pulled it off when it looked like it had some good smoke on it, which was about two hours.

I fried a few pieces up this morning for breakfast:

ef5b9691_IMG_1495.jpg

Looks Great...  The bark on that butt looks great, how was it...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky