First smoke in 2 MONTHS!!! YAY!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, OR
I'll put this in chicken since that will be the actual dinner for tonight, but there are a couple of stow-aways in it as well
biggrin.gif

Well finaly after about 2 months of being in and out of the hospital I finally get to fire up my WSM. The folks are coming over for dinner and also invited a neighbor who was kind enough to help out when I was laid up in the hospital. The menu is smoked Sweet Jerked Chicken, Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans, a mixed sausage medly.... and a couple of corned beef getting turned into pastrami for lunch meats.

Chicken rub was a base of brown sugar and about half a bottle of Jerk rub:

c660d7e6_IMG_1638.jpg

Layered the rub and chicken into a big 3 gallon ziploc (love these bags!)

baec34cd_IMG_1639.jpg

Here is one of the pastrami's getting a little rub love as well. They got a LOT of fresh cracked black pepper, old bay seasoning, and the little packets of spices that come with them as a rub.

5a2455a9_IMG_1640.jpg

So after those all spent a night in the fridge getting happy it was time to make smoke. Fired up the WSM and had a mix of hickory and mesquite for my flavor woods. First in was the chicken - one family pack of thighs, the other of leg quarters.

0f324364_IMG_1643.jpg

Top rack got the pastrami, a pan of beans, and a pan of sausage...... mmmmmmmmm!

6689a362_IMG_1644.jpg

cb8b1cb0_IMG_1645.jpg

ecb948c2_IMG_1646.jpg

Ah.... a sight I sorely missed over the last two months - a FULL WSM chugging along at a steady 250° just doing it's thing with no input from me. Brings a tear to my eye
icon_cry.gif
 (or maybe that was the face full of smoke that did that). You can see my temporary stand in thermometer from Lowes after I busted my original one *sigh*

b701befb_IMG_1649.jpg

More to come later.... hope to be eating around 7:00 tonight! Will get some pictures poste after dinner.

OK.... well with pulling stuff of and talking to guests I forgot to get the obligatory plated shot, but here is the stuff that didn't quiet get polished off by the herd: few chick thighs, some of the beans, and a few lonly sausage. Neighbors brought over a nice big garden salad for our healthy item.

af6e9c34_IMG_1650.jpg

a07084c3_IMG_1651.jpg

e171f757_IMG_1653.jpg

Here is a peek at one of the pastrami, I too them to 205° then pulled them to rest and cool a bit on the counter, and then tossed them into the fridge overnight, I will slice them in the morning. It smelled awesome!

22a54e71_IMG_1654.jpg

That's all for now! Full, happy tummy, time for a nap!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Hope you have a good recovery and a good meal .I know how you feel on needing help on thing you took for granted .I had to adjust to what i think i can do, to what i can acutaly do .Two back surgerys and ongoing spinal injections for nerve damage.Had to eat some crow ,but it taste better when smoked.

Ps .it's ok this
sausage.gif
sausage can dance better than me now, because i can make him taste awsome.

Looking great Johnny - welcome back my brother

Last edited:
Johnny, Thats some good lookin grub there. Good to see you and your WSM are back together. Sometimes the best therapy is to get to do something you enjoy. Make the heart and mind happy and the body will follow. Good luck on a speedy recovery.

YYYYAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Looking delicious!!

Craig

icon_cool.gif

I'm really glad to see that your up and about. Now you food looks awesome as usual so enjoy the food and your company and let there be many many more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky