• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Smoke complete: 2 racks of ribs with Q View

chaze215

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 20, 2011
I finally got my 1st smoke under my belt. I did 2 racks of babybacks with hickory and a combo of water/apple juice in the water pan. Of course I followed the 2-2-1 method with delicious results. After the first 2 hours of smoke, I foil wrapped them with some honey,brown sugar and apple juice on the ribs for the next 2 hours. I wasnt expecting "fall off the bone" ribs with 2-2-1, but they were. Not to mention a pretty sweet smoke ring. Thanks for all the advice on here and enjoy the Q-view!

fpnmf

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 19, 2010
Awesome!!

Delicious!!

Have a great day!! 

Craig

deannc

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 13, 2010
You have some great looking ribs there!  

Congrats on a successful smoke!  

les3176

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 10, 2009
Nice job on your first smoke the ribs look great!....now on to the next!!!

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Nice ribs they look awesome and that smoker is far to clean so you better get to smoking there.

Last edited:

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Nice job! Those ribs look awesome. What you gonna try next?

chaze215

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 20, 2011
Thanks guys! They did come out better than I expected for my 1st smoke. I think next on my smokin list is a brisket. Any tips to offer up for my brisket smoke?

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
Congrats on your first, looks great, well done

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Great looking BBs !!!

Brisket??

Lot's of Briskets in the search box. There are different types--Packer, Flat, & Point.

Do a search to find what you want to do.

I have a small Brisket Flat "step by step" in my signature below, if you want to see it.

Thanks for the nice Qview,

Bear

chaze215

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for the link Bear. Whats the difference between a packer,point and flat? The ones I have seen at Costco must be the flats since they look like the one in your Qview. So, in total it took 15 hours for the one you did?

hmcm

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 14, 2010
Those look awesome! 

I like the honey, brown sugar and apple cider during foiling.  I'm definitely going to try that next time.  Thanks for the tip!

Cheers!

bassman

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 15, 2007
Chaz, those ribs looks perfect!  I guess you got the flame problem fixed on the smoker so you should be good to go on the brisket.

chaze215

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 20, 2011
Keith: I did a few more things with the burner/venturi as per the CCSV rep. It did get a lil better, so I figured I would go ahead with a smoke. I like the results, but need to get a better handle on regulating the temp. There was a difference of about 30 degrees between the therm on the door and the therm I had on the rack. I tend to think the inside therm was giving me a more accurate temp. Overall, the end product was very tasty. Have you run into this with your CCSV too?

jmk3921

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 22, 2010
Man those look awesome!!! Send some my way and I'll demonstrate the "disappearing" rib trick----

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Thanks for the link Bear. Whats the difference between a packer,point and flat? The ones I have seen at Costco must be the flats since they look like the one in your Qview. So, in total it took 15 hours for the one you did?
No---See below (from my post):

Actually it took 8 1/2 hours to do that little flat.

The 5 1/2 hours of smoke was part of that 8 1/2 hour total.

The 2 hours at the end was without heat, which is similar to putting it in the cooler wrapped in foil.

Bear

<<<<

In the smoker at 230˚ for 8 1/2 hours, with 5 1/2 hours of Hickory with my A-MAZE-N-SMOKER.

Foiled at 165˚ INT, and back in until it hit 190˚. Then I left it in, but killed the heat. It coasted up to 193˚. Then I left it in for another 2 hours, and took it out. It was at 185˚ when I removed it. It was tender & juicy, and GREAT!

Sprayed a mix of Apple Juice (8 oz) & Worcestershire Sauce (4 oz) every 1 1/2 hour, after first 2 hours.>>>>>

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
Great job on the ribs... They Look Great...

GO GREEN BAY...

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Can't wait to see your brisket!   

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007
WOW ribs look awesome thanks for posting

A++++

Awesome Smoke Ring, Pull back, finishing sauce and excellent photos to boot!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.