First Smoke...Beer Can Chicken...Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pittman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Holmdel, New Jersey
I guess technically this is still my first smoke, because it was smoking along with my chicken bacon bites. 

So, I had the smoker (MES 40) at 275 deg., and the chicken his 160 internally at about the 2 hour mark.  Chickens were real cheap at pathmark (95cents a pound) less than 5 bucks for this 5 pound bird!  My rub was garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper.  Needed much more of everything!! I did however use my new home brew beer as the beer can beer! 

So if you see my previous thread with the Chicken Bacon bites, you know I had som issues with my smoke.  From the help given so far, I know I need to get the AMS really well lit, because my smoke flavor was lacking, and my rub was ok at best. Next time I need to put way more rub on, and the smoke needs to be kicked up.  But it was fun, and cant wait to do it again.

59cf4865_BCChicken1.jpg

Homemade beer, and way to little rub! Also should have dried the chicken much better before the rub!

09701524_BCChicken2.jpg

30 min in. (Hickory)

4b5c46c9_BCChicken3.jpg

All done!

5f02cf4c_BCChicken4.jpg

Was maybe the most moist chicken ever (pics dont do the moistness justice), but the flavor was short... Need to make the proper changes and get the flavor up!

Looks good from the other side of the Delaware too!!

Keep it up, they'll soon be perfect!   Then you'll have a heck of a time trying to do it better!   
biggrin.gif

Bear

Forgot to say that the thing that I think made the bird moist...I put pads of butter between the skin and meat before smoking!  Mmmmmm butter!

Looks like you are headed in the right direction.  As to keeping the AMNS lit, be sure you have airflow to allow it to burn.  Also, I have had only one smoke with a problem and it was NOT with the AMNS.  It was because of a tricky butane torch which wasn't giving a good light to start with.  I have switched to a propane torch with a pencil tip and all is good now.

Good luck and good smoking.

Forgot to say that the thing that I think made the bird moist...I put pads of butter between the skin and meat before smoking!  Mmmmmm butter!

I do the same but mix some of my rub in with the butter helps out a lot with the flavor.  That bird looks way better than my first smoked bird.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky