First Salmon on WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rathog23

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
First attempt at salmon on WSM. I used the Brown Sugar Rub recipe from TVWB.
A couple of learning points :
The recipe says to let the temp come down to 325 even though it didn't get that high. I suspect that using the garden hose with spray attachment wasn't the best way to add water to the bowl after assembling the smoker. There seems to have been some overspray that may have damped the coals a bit.

I used three chunks of apple wood which seemed to be plenty.

Compared to a direct probe stuck in the portal on the side, the dome thermo seems to be about 30 degrees higher. The probe is a cheap grocery store model so, I'm not sure on the accuracy. Am planning on a remote thermometer in the near future once I decide which one to get.

The salmon was still delicious !

http://virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html

brine.jpeg
brined.jpeg
smoked.jpeg

Looks really good, try basting it with honey or maple syrup towards the end. That way you won't get the unmelted suger.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Rathog23
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky