First Run! A Success! (with questions) LOL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here's a little  suggestion for your chips... place some in the bottom of the unit  (away from where it will ignite ) , and warm them... this will give you an edge on starting the

Smoking of the chips ad possibly give better , lighter smoke than the white you get now.

Control of the  intake air is paramount , it will take some practice but as KC stated , learn your Smoker . Your Smoke should be like this color  :

Wow cool.

I will have to try that!  

My god, there are thousands of different ways to do things huh!  LOL   Love it!

Yeh my son is 20 and he loves it too!  Just wish my other son was still here to take part'

Lost him a few years back, he was 20 at the time.....  Horrible man, Absolutely horrible a 

parent has to go through this..  Another reason I keep so busy, keeps my mind from wondering..

Monkey, thanks again buddy!

Tropics, I appreciate your input also bud! Thank You..

Well, did our second run today and it was better than the first!

We brined the chicken for 2 hours using 2 quarts of water, 1/4 cup Salt and 1/4 cup of brown sugar...

We used the following recipe for the Rub minus the salt and Thyme..

8 Tbl spooons Dark brown sugar

1 Tbl spoon chili powder

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp of onion powder

Got this recipe online.. Actually we were in the store looking for a new rub when my son said "lets

mix our own" so he went online and got this one.

We also bought a new bag of wood chips!  

Stubbs 100% All Natural Bar-B-Q which is a blend of Oak, Applewood and Hickory.

Bought some Jack Daniels Honey Smokehouse Barbecue Sauce too!  We added that to only three

pieces toward the end of the cook.  This way we can taste the difference with and without the Sauce!

We had such a fun time today me and him!  LOL  We stayed outside near the smoker talking (Smoke) and

learned a lot more about the smoker...

Wasn't to sure of this Walmart Taylor electric Thermometer so going to get a Maverick.  haha  

Aren't there two versions of the Mav?

Here's some pics!

Oldschoolbbq, Thanks for he tips buddy!  But yeh our smoke looks exactly like in your pic!

Thanks

Last edited:
This is what it's all about, trying new things and looking for the perfect recipe that will make your smoke the best. With all the different types of smokers, wood, charcoal, rubs, meats, etc. it will provide a lifetime of fun and when the family gets involved, it makes great memories, too.

I hear ya bud

I hear ya!

Thanks for the help..

One note on brining. Always remember to wash the brine off before you smoke your poultry or pork or whatever. I have forgotten a few times. Not good.
 Didn't do that!  I won't forget next time!

Did a big rack of ribs on Sunday and everything worked out pretty good..  Had a few problems with temps but purchased a Maverick ET-733

and boy things are easier now!  HAHAH

Ribs weren't bad at all but the Cummin was a little to much.   

Tonight we are doing some more skinless breasts with a new recipe my son found!  We also changed out the water pan and filled it

with sand!  Seems to be much better but temps are a little high even on LOW!  LOL

Also trying some Bacon Bombs for the first time!   LOL

Still learning this thing but going good!

Looking good. sounds like you are getting the hang of it. You are going to love those ABT's. One hint on them. You can leave the end on. It gives you a handle to eat them with and the cheese won't all run out..

one more thing. Wrap that whole water pan up with 2 layers of foil. Otherwise you will have stinky yucky sand and have to change it out all the time. With the foil you can just peel the first layer off and chuck it. I also recommend a drip pan on that bottom grate and move that other stuff up. It will help keep bacon grease from getting all over everything.

one more thing. Wrap that whole water pan up with 2 layers of foil. Otherwise you will have stinky yucky sand and have to change it out all the time. With the foil you can just peel the first layer off and chuck it. I also recommend a drip pan on that bottom grate and move that other stuff up. It will help keep bacon grease from getting all over everything.
Thanks Timber!

Great suggestions!   What are ABTs>  LOL  The handle left on is a good idea!  Thanks

I've read somewhere about getting a smaller jet for this burner, will have to look around cause

even on the low setting its way to hot so we had to go (past) wide open and there, we can get the flame smaller.

Which is good for propane management!  

Will cover that bottom great for sure!

Hmm

Need a quick answer here guys!

Just took the grates out real quick to put some BBQ sauce on these pieces of chicken, they were at 153 degrees.

Put everything back in and put the probe back into a piece of chicken BUT the chicken temps are only at 117 now!

Could they have cooled that fast?  I wouldn't think so but does that happen to you at all?

Not sure what to do now..  Ill wait it out to see how fast they come up but just seems odd..

Using the Maverick ET-733

Your probe may have been too shallow or too deep, probably too deep. You don't want to cover the bottom grate with foil. That will cause all kinds of heat and smoke problems. wrap the water pan and use a foil pan or something on the bottom grate to catch the grease. What people do to fix that smoker is to install a needle valve. I believe you can get one from Cajun injector. With a needle valve you can adjust all the way down to like 120.

Ok I will only put a catch pan in the bottom to catch the drippings.
The temp on the chicken probe is only 127 now and not sure if I should stop or what.
These have been in for 2 1/2 hours now

Ok I will only put a catch pan in the bottom to catch the drippings.
The temp on the chicken probe is only 127 now and not sure if I should stop or what.
These have been in for 2 1/2 hours now
You can tell when chicken breast is done pretty easy. Just press on it with your finger and release. If it springs back up it's most likely done. If it has an indention that stays for a bit it's not. I would make sure you didn't accidentally switch to C instead of F and poke another piece. Little boneless skinless breasts don't take very long at all. The ABT's which is what we refer to here. atomic buffalo turds. Are done in 2 hours at 225.

Should the peppers be soft or still a little crunchy?
They've been in for 2 1/2 hours also .

Are you using a tested thermometer for your chamber temperature? It sounds like you are running cool to me. It all depends on how thick the peppers are as to how soft they get. I like just a little crunch to mine so that they don't fall apart so bad when you try to eat one. Here, the peppers I get in the winter are thick like a green pepper and don't readily soften up in the smoker. I just take them off when the bacon is done to my liking. I don't like crispy but not flabby either.

I also noticed your oven thermometer you have there is sitting on the sand box. I don't know if that is the best place. The temp in there can vary by rack height.

Probes are good. I checked them in boiling water and both read 214, so only 2 degrees off but when I put them in a cup of ice they never hit 32, they were in the mid 40s
That I didn't like right?
Wondering if I should return this unit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky