First reverse flow smoker build - may have some questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AllTuckerdOut

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 1, 2019
Hey there -

I'm about to do my first build of a smoker and I will have, what I believe, is a 250 gal propane tank. I say I believe because I just did some relative measuring pacing it off and where it came up to on my side. I didn't have a tape measure with me, wasn't expecting to find it.

Any ways. I was going to use that 250 gal as my cooking chamber and possibly a 120 gal that I found for the firebox.

I plan on using this thread to update as I build, but I may have some questions!

Here's the tanks I am getting.
IMG_1904.jpg
IMG_1917.PNG

Reactions: JC in GB
Good luck on your build. There are some good airflow calculating utilities available that will help you get your firebox and outlet stack sized properly.

weedeater weedeater JC in GB JC in GB I was working on it and I think I have the numbers down. This is all an estimate until I open the tank up and see how actually wide it is.

Volume of cook chamber - 63,906.72 cubic in
FB/CC opening in square inches - 63,906.72 sq in
Area under the RF plate in square inches -63,906.72 sq in (not really sure what this one is)
Area required at the end of the RF plate in square inches - 63,906.72 sq in (is this where the plate should end?)
Minimum volume of the Fire Box - 21,089.22 cubic in
FB air inlets in square inches - 63.91 sq in
Exhaust Stack Volume in cubic inches, above the CC - 1,405.95 cubic in
Stack Length in inches - 49.73"

I am doing a cylinder CC and FB. But these are the ones I am concerned about:
Cutout FB/CC height - 11.8"
Cutout width - 14.3"
Height of RF plate - 14.3
RF plate - 29.486"

Another question I have is... How deep into the CC do I cut to put the FB into it?

Mechanical engineering isn't in my wheelhouse. I would not be a good resource for you on this. I am just along for the ride watching and learning with you.

Mechanical engineering isn't in my wheelhouse. I would not be a good resource for you on this. I am just along for the ride watching and learning with you.

Ah well thanks for joining in on the fun. Going to be getting the tanks this weekend then the fun starts!

Are you done yet?

Am I done with the build yet? Haha. I have to pick up the tank still. I found it at a scrap yard and while I was there their excavators claw pin shot out. This was last Saturday. I was told to call back mid week because the tank was behind a lot of stuff.

Called today and the guy said he just got the part and to call back on Monday... So now I'm waiting.

I'll be picking up the firebox tank on Sunday. Then hopefully Tuesday pick up the big tank.

Then the fun starts

Am I done with the build yet? Haha. I have to pick up the tank still. I found it at a scrap yard and while I was there their excavators claw pin shot out. This was last Saturday. I was told to call back mid week because the tank was behind a lot of stuff.

Called today and the guy said he just got the part and to call back on Monday... So now I'm waiting.

I'll be picking up the firebox tank on Sunday. Then hopefully Tuesday pick up the big tank.

Then the fun starts

Sounds good.
Let the good times roll.

Reactions: AllTuckerdOut
Got a call from a buddy that works for the township and they were having junk day. Someone called and asked if they take big propane tanks. So he took it for me to come grab. All free!

C9E3274B-22EF-43F4-953F-FB7A9A890C7B.jpeg B0943F28-5183-48D0-B708-DDF8B87135FE.jpeg FE6C2B3E-9922-42F7-AA10-0E02EC5DED56.jpeg

Wow, what a catch. That will make one bad ass pit. Can't wait to see your progress.

I'm going to need advice from some seasoned vets here...

Do I cut this tank in half and have one rounded end with a flat side near the firebox? So it is something like this
cut in half.png

Or do I split out the tank into 3 and connect the 2 rounded ends? So it looks something like this
split 3.png

Either way, with the cut I don't use I plan to make another smoker next year to sell.

what would the advantage/disadvantages be of either way?

yes, It was made by Lang. they come that way now.

Reactions: Jonok
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky