FIRST REAL (SORT OF) SALAMI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Robert H

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Hi all
I finally got around to my first attempt at a salami. I made some Italian sausages last night and had some left over casing and had a couple of buckeyes in the fridge so I boned them out and cut up some backfat to mix in. The recipe is just the standard umai soppresatta recipe
20211208_214104.jpg
stuffed into regular casing and hung to start the fermentation process. They will be small but now that I have a curing chamber I can experiment with smaller batches and casings until I feel I have the process down. Thanks for looking and hope I can replicate what others are doing here. Will keep you posted on progress.

During fermentation, humidity should be in the 90% range, not lower. Watch that and spray them twice a day with distilled water mist if not, also follow the temp range of the culture you are using. Warm it up in there if you have to. Fermentation is very key, don’t short it.

Thanks, I never thought of the humidity, the temp is around 72f. I will spritz it on a regular interval.

Another step during fermentation process is controlling PH level: depending on recipe it shouldn't get lower then 5.0 - 4.8... To do so you need a PH tester or PH test strips...

I am just winging this as I already had all my equipment out for the sausages I was making. I do not have a ph tester yet. The colour has changed nicely even overnight and I have a waterpan and a makeshift enclosure around it now for the humidity. This is the first time using real casing for this as I had only used the 50mm umai tubes previously and the humidity is not really an issue with those. Thanks for the tips and will keep posting progress.

After two days fermenting the links are now in the chamber. I brushed on some mold 600 even though they are close to some cappicollo and lonza that are in there. I was not sure if the mold would migrate or not. I think Santa might bring me a ph tester, so I will be a bit more equipped next time.
20211210_182844.jpg

Another step during fermentation process is controlling PH level: depending on recipe it shouldn't get lower then 5.0 - 4.8... To do so you need a PH tester or PH test strips...
This is dependent on what type of culture used, fast ferment or slow ferment. And the amount of added sugar and what type. In most traditional fermented sausage, dextrose is used to feed the lactic acid producing bacteria. Controlling the amount of sugar (food for the bacteria) will control final PH. As their food supply dries up the bacteria stop producing lactic acid.

0.3% sugars will net a PH higher than 5.0
0.5-0.7% will net a PH lower than 5.0
1.0% will net a PH of at least 4.5

I recommend that anyone wanting to start the craft of making fermented sausages pick up a copy of Marianski’s book. Read it cover to cover, then keep your nose in it as you proceed. Invaluable resource.

Yeah, I have seen many references to this book on smf and will get around to ordering it. This was a spur of the moment decision since my equipment was already out and I had some extra meat and fat at hand.
If it does not work out it did not cost much, but from what I can see it looks as it should.
I used dextrose for the sugar and should be sufficient as I have used this recipe before for umai casing.
Thanks for all tips, comments and suggestions.

This is dependent on what type of culture used, fast ferment or slow ferment. And the amount of added sugar and what type. In most traditional fermented sausage, dextrose is used to feed the lactic acid producing bacteria. Controlling the amount of sugar (food for the bacteria) will control final PH. As their food supply dries up the bacteria stop producing lactic acid.

0.3% sugars will net a PH higher than 5.0
0.5-0.7% will net a PH lower than 5.0
1.0% will net a PH of at least 4.5
You are correct. That's why I mentioned " depending on recipe" in my post. Different recipes call for different type of cultures and the amount of sugars (I used to use dextrose when I was dry curing salamis) ...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky