FIRST RACK OF HAWG *** LEFTOVERS PIC ADDED ***

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
First off, a big thanks to civilsmoker. His post the other day with his rack of pork got me fired up to try one. He also answered a couple of questions prior to the smoke. Thanks civilsmoker! Bought the rack at my local butcher shop. They cut it fresh and trimmed it and tied it, just as I requested. I didn't need to do any prep. They did it all for me. The rack turned out good. It was tender, juicy, good smoke ring and really tasty, I used my Weber kettle for this one. Also used a little different twist of a minion method that I found on YouTube a couple of years ago. 100 unlit briquettes with 10 lit coals dropped in the middle with cherry wood. I could have used bout 70 unlit but what the heck. More is better right! This method with bottom vent at 1/4" open and top vent 1/4 to 1/2" open, maintained 275 degrees the entire smoke with minimal adjustments to the top vent from time to time. I never touched the bottom vent. I injected with apple juice and pork injection mix. Rubbed with a new rub I found at the butcher shop. Pulled at 143 rested and sliced. The Rack of Hawg will definitely go into my smoking rotation.

HAWG

MINION.jpg

Modified Minion

RACK 1.jpg

Trimmed nicely by the butcher.

RACK 2.jpg

Fat trimmed thin by butcher.

RACK 3.jpg

Rubbed and waiting for Kettle to come up to 275 degrees.

RACK SLICED.jpg

The finished product.
LEFTOVERS.jpg

Only the rack of hawg was left over. It was better the second day for sure. Wife made potato casserole, coleslaw and pear halves with mayo and cheddar. Vac packed the remaining rack for another day.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Last edited:
Hawg, nice cook! Like your method too, pretty simple a great results!

You are welcome, glad I could help, I can almost taste it! I also think Hawg would agree if you haven’t done this you need too!

Reactions: Hawging It
Way to go Hawg, those ribs look delicious!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Hawging It
Hawg, nice cook! Like your method too, pretty simple a great results!

You are welcome, glad I could help, I can almost taste it! I also think Hawg would agree if you haven’t done this you need too!
You are correct. Smoke one if you have not done one. Yep, that modified minion works great. Virtually no messing around with the vents to control the heat. Messed with the top vent only twice during the cook. Thanks again

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky