First pulled pork and abt questions!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hippityhoppy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Southern Idaho
First off sorry for how long this post will be.
I have an ok joe highlander. Traded up from an ECB. I have used it quite a few times and love it!

I have a 6.9 lb pork shoulder that I am going to smoke wednesday plan on rubbing it tomorrow and possibly injection letting it sit over night. I want to run my smoker at 250 but I'm honeslty not sure when I should start the smoker on wednesday. (I want to make sure it is done in time for hubbys birthday dinner.)

Do I go by 1.5 hours per pound? (As a starting guide?) More time? Less time? I know it isn't done till its done. Aiming for 200ish it temp. Will be using a finishing sauce. Going to smoke it in an aluminum pan.

And the abt.. I have my game plan pretty much planned out for them seeing as they will most likely be devoured for lunch and never make the dinner table I am going to smoke them early but I have never done them. Will 250 be sufficient enough to cook them?
How will I tell they are done?

Sorry for the long post just want to make sure hubbys birthday dinner is fantastic.

Reactions: padronman
I would plan on 2 hours per lb. that way you wont be disappointed if the butt decides to not play nice.  My opinion is don't use the pan.  Place it right on the grates.  That way you wont have a mushy under side.  Pull it at about 203F and cover for an hour then pull and add your finishing sauce. 

As for the ABT's?  250F is plenty of heat.  Mine usually go for 2 hours at that temp.  You are correct.....they will be gone ASAP. 

Scott

At 250°F, 1.5 hours per pound should be good but I preach 2 hours per and add 2-3 hours to CYA/Rest the meat. If done early, wrap the meat and pan in foil and old towels or a blanket. Stick the whole deal in a cooler and it will stay hot for up to 5 hours. As Scott pointed out, going on the rack is a good idea, with the pan under the meat, if possible. I have done both ways depending on the smoker I am using, with great results. At 250, ABT's will take about 2 hours to get nicely done. Just curious, what Finishing Sauce are you using?...JJ

Last edited:
Ya have some great info there.... Just to follow up with what Chef JJ said there.... I done a pork shoulder this last weekend & as always wrapped in foil, towels & off to the cooler.... After 5 hrs, it was still plenty warm ! Hope your smoke turns out awesome ! Thumbs Up

I went back and re-read your post.. was looking for the time that your hubby gets lucky (dinner time) ?? are you going to wrap in foil to speed cook time up or go nekkid ?? timing will depend a lot on that ...

Lol he loves it when I rub it and pull it! I don't plan on foiling and I sure hope I don't have to. But I am hoping * fingers crossed* that a 14 hr cook time is more than enough but I will just have to see!

Lol he loves it when I rub it and pull it! I don't plan on foiling and I sure hope I don't have to. But I am hoping * fingers crossed* that a 14 hr cook time is more than enough but I will just have to see!
LMAO
biggrin.gif

14 hours should be plenty!!!  

Chef Jimmy I planned on using the finishing sause posted in the pork sticky thread.
That one is good but I am not a fan of Tony Chachere's seasoning, WAY TOO SALTY! In fact that stuff is well over half salt. Lots of $$$ for a big container of salt. Anywho, give it a try. Then next time try one of my Finishing Sauces, one Sweet, one Tangy. They are very popular around here and versatile, as you can easily control the amount of individual ingredients and customize them to your liking...JJ

Foiling Juice / Sweet Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

Foiling Juice

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours

1/2 Stick Butter

1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey

1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice

1T Molasses

Optional:

2T Vinegar, 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more of a KC Style Glaze.

Simmer until a syrupy consistency.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and

run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return

the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining

in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

For a Sweet Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork:  Make a Double batch, Butter optional.

Add 1/2 the batch to the Foil Pack or place it in a Pan with your Butt, when the IT hits 165*F.

Cover the pan with foil and continue to heat to 205*F for pulling.

At 205* rest or hold the Butt in a cooler wrapped in towels until ready to serve.

Pull the Pork and place it back in the pan with the pan Juices and any additional reserved Foiling Juice to moisten and Serve...OR... Bag and refrigerate until needed.

When re-heating place the Pulled Pork in a Pan or Crock pot and add reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider, as needed to make up the Juice that was absorbed while  the pork was refrigerated. Cover and re-heat in a pre-heated 325-350*F oven or on High in the crock pot to 165*F and Serve.

Note: the addition of the reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider should make the PP moist but not Swimming.

I was AMAZED...No additional sauce needed. ENJOY...JJ

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip  add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

That one is good but I am not a fan of Tony Chachere's seasoning, WAY TOO SALTY! In fact that stuff is well over half salt. Lots of $$$ for a big container of salt. Anywho, give it a try.
I agree with Chef JJ.  I do use that finishing sauce but I don't like Tony Chachere's seasoning much either.  I substitute my own rub mix for the Tony's and love the flavors.  I am going to give ol' JJ's sauce a try though as its gotta be good stuff!!

Scott

Lol well my fridge smells of tater salad and rubbed pork atm. So some jalapeno smells from it will just add to the wonderful aroma!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky