First post Need wet brining recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

puffin3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
I have about ten 1-3 pounds raw pork roasts I want to wet cure to make hams.

I have the 'pink salt'. Not Instacure. Just pure sodium nitrite from my butcher. I'm looking for a recipe 'per gallon' of water to brine the pork.

Also the length of time in the brine per pound.

I was recommended to this site by a 'Chowhound' forum member who said 'Bear would be able to answer my questions.

Thanks for your advice. I do have cure#1. I'm following the 'pops brine'. 

After the pork roasts have been brined can I freeze the now 'hams' before I roast them? Or do I need to roast them then freeze them. I have about ten pieces brining now. I think I do have to freeze them as there's too much to eat right away.

Thanks.

Thanks for your advice. I do have cure#1. I'm following the 'pops brine'. 

After the pork roasts have been brined can I freeze the now 'hams' before I roast them? Or do I need to roast them then freeze them. I have about ten pieces brining now. I think I do have to freeze them as there's too much to eat right away.

Thanks.
I think I would smoke them and then either portion them up and vac. seal and freeze or freeze whole. The former is my method of choice. Then you can just thaw and eat. Cured, smoked pork comes back just like you just smoked it if you vac. seal and reheat in hot water.

I see this is your first post. You should stop by roll call and introduce yourself. Also include a location in your profile so we know where you are at. Helps us to help you more by knowing what your climate is, timezone, and other members that are in your area can help you find things and whatnot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky