FIRST PORK CROWN ROAST

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skyduster

Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
LUFKIN TEXAS
Followed Jeff' recipe and it turned out perfectly! Everyone really enjoyed it! My sauce made by Jeff's recipe and modified to suit our taste went to England from Texas after I won a small competition against 16 competitors! One of the judges took a quart home to England for the holidays. This site with Jeff at the wheel is invaluable for newbies like me!
Thanks Jeff!!!!

Reactions: merrymanb
Going to try Jeff's recipe tomorrow for New Year's Day. Any tips, or just follow the recipe? Oh, one question: did you use a temp probe, and if so, where did you place the probe?

Thanks, got my fingers crossed!

th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Did our 16-rib crown roast New Year's morning.

Prep: I bought my roast at a local butcher shop that's always done me right with pork; a 16-rib roast at $3.69 a pound, and a beauty.

NYE afternoon, I brined it with Jeff's recipe from last week's email...except what I thought was a bottle of apple juice turned out to be white grape juice! Screw it, too late, just go with it. Dumped it all in a giant ziploc, and put it in the garage overnight (about 25° out there).

NY Day at 9 AM, I drained it and rinsed it, patted it dry, and then slathered it with Maurice's Southern Gold sauce and dusted it good with a locally-produced rub, Curley's (Good stuff, it's Curlified). Loaded the smoker (Smokin' Tex) with Stubb's blend and a handful of extra apple wood chips, put in the roast, plugged in the Maverick probes, and set it to 230°. Had some eggnog and turned on the Mummer's Parade (a Philly tradition: a huge folk parade put on by amateur groups, bizarre and wonderful).

Started making sides about noon, pork hit 140° at about 12:30 PM. I took it out, tented it, and kept cooking. When everything was ready, about 45 minutes later, I carved it, reassembled it, and served it up. VERY well-received: juicy, flavorful, tender. My ex-chef brother-in-law said it was excellent. Looking forward to doing it again next year!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky