First pork butt update

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Learch2112

Original poster
May 9, 2018
I would like to start by thanking everyone who responded to my earlier post...wicked good information and tips! Made my first butt cook a success.
I started with a 6 1/2 lb boneless butt, already trimmed and tied by the butcher. Shout out to Adams Farm in Athol, Mass. Quality piece of meat. Got the WSM fired up and used cherry and pecan in a 3:1 ratio. As the cooker came up to temp I applied the rub. Slapped the butt on the cooker and in no time it settled in right around 240. I must say, the WSM did a great job of holding temp. A couple of bottom vent adjustments early on and it just chugged along. Got to an internal temp of right around 165, pulled the butt, put in a pan, covered it tight with foil and back in it went. Finally hit the 200-205 internal temp range, pulled it out and wrapped it up real good with foil. Let it rest in a cooler for an hour or a half or so and then pulled it. Came apart in succulent tender juicy pieces. Accented with a sweet sauce I mixed up the night before. Was phenomenal. Paired it with some baked beans and cole slaw and I couldn’t be happier.
Thanks again to the great people here for all the help. Next weekend....first try at baby backs. Wish me luck!

Mike

Sounds like a fine cook, butt we like photos for drooling purposes here.

Chris

Reactions: Learch2112
It sounds like you had an amazing success on your first try at smoking a pork butt!
Awesome job, and hopefully next time you will have a chance to take some photo's!
Al

Reactions: Learch2112
Thanks y’all! I do have some pics but I will need a tutorial on posting them. They are on my phone and apparently you can’t just post them right from the camera roll.

Mike

Mike you can, when you type a post on your phone there is the formatting bar across the top.

Second line 9th from left you should see a camera.

That should allow you to post pics

Hope that helps

Alex

Hey Alex...I tried that and it gave me a “you have no media” message. The other icons are asking for a URL. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Mike

Between “Post Reply” and “More Options” there is an option to “Upload a File”

Once you click that it should bring up a box to choose your file

Al

It's like this.
IMG_20180521_095847.png
IMG_20180521_095747.png
IMG_20180521_095638.png
IMG_20180521_095515.png

Holly cow that's quite the process. I'm glad I can just drag them from my camera through my computer into my threads.

Chris

Felt it went very well Alex. Still being new to all of this, my first couple of cooks were kinda stressful but this one went pretty much to plan. Actually was able to eat right about when I planned. Didn’t happen on earlier cooks!
And it was most definitely better than other pulled pork I’ve had...but I may be a tad bit biased! :)

Reactions: Alex Douglas
If you had a butt finish on time then count your lucky stars--because that's eaten I've never had s butt do that. So I ALWAYS smoke and pull it a day ahead and then just rewarm it to eat. Pulled pork IMO is always better the second day
POINT
Gary

I added a couple of hours to the schedule anticipating it taking longer than I thought it would. Planned to just let it rest longer in the cooler if it got done sooner. It go a little bit longer, but not too bad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky