First pork butt smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

broncocoach45

Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
So I'm going to give it a go. Trying to get the fire going now. Temp is a little high so I'm letting the charcoal burn down a little hoping it gets to 250. In the meantime, I've been letting my 9 lb butt rest with the rub on it. Wish me luck!!

I would add wood as the temp gets close to the lower end of your cooking range. When you add a couple of pre-heated splits, your temp will climb to the top of your cooking range for a short while, then settle back within range.

You should have to add splits probably every 45 minutes to an hour. Be sure to keep a good bed of coals.

the problem I'm having thus far is keeping a bed of coals. when i put my split on, they smoke more than anything. what can i do to build that bed of coals?

right around 4 hours in, IT is 130....temp has gone between 300 and 220, but averaging anout 260. Trying so hard to keep a bed of coals hot enough to light the splits right away is the hardest part so far.

You are working in a very small space, therefore it is going to be hard to burn splits and keep temps down. 

I would recommend using pre-lit charcoal to add to the fire. Just get a few ashed over with sharp orange ffflames, open it up and add. Toss in your smallest piece of chunk/split and keep the damper just cracked. 

Don't sweat high temps.. 300 will be ok 

5.5 hours in, nice bark forming. IT is 145. Still a few hours to go before the foil, then a couple hours sleep before resting an pulling before work tomorrow.

Well, we're going on hour 13. There was a small (I hope) hiccup along the way. I fell asleep and missed my two temp check alarms. At 1:30, the IT was hanging around 145-150 (pretty sure this was the stall, as it had held here for a couple hours). I had put a couple splits on, so i know the CC was running a bit hot when I fell asleep (probably around 300ish). Woke up at 5:00 am and the CC was below 100*, and IT was 160. So I wrapped the butt, rebuilt the fire, and have no idea what to do now. I'm planning on getting it to 180ish then toweling it and sticking it in the cooler.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky