First Overnight for the 4th

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

salisboss

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 7, 2018
I decided to do my first overnight brisket to get ready for the 4th. It started as a 15# packer that I trimmed up and rubbed with coarse pepper and kosher salt. In it went at 9:30 pm with Hickory smoke between 265-280 measured right below the meat. The goal was 275 but I just couldn't hold that temp. I wrapped in paper around 3 am and it was 201-203 and pliable at 7:30 am (10 hours total). It smells awesome but I would have liked a blacker outside. Any tips? I will report back final pics and thoughts. I was suprised that I only had to get up a few times (every 1.5 hours or so) the temp alarm on probe never went off so that was good.

IMG_20180703_211220.jpg
MVIMG_20180704_074002.jpg

It kind of looks like your rub may have come off at the very beginning, in some of those deep red spots.

Perhaps spritz rub it with Whoosy sauce or something first to help the rub stick and let it sit long enough for the rub to get attached before putting it on the smoker.

At first I was going to ask if perhaps you got to rough during the wrapping stage knocked it off, but I don't think the beef would be that deep red underneath in that case.

Only other thing I can say, is I usually wrap somewhere within the first hour of the stall, but don't wrap until the bark is what you want.

If you are really unhappy with it, I will be glad to take it off your hands <G>. I am betting its going to be tasty judging by the look of the meat and that paper.

The easiest way to get more bark is forget about wrapping it, or wait until you get the bark you want, then wrap it.
But wrapping it will soften the bark!
Al

Reactions: salisboss
IMG_20180704_140819.jpg
MVIMG_20180704_140806.jpg

Finished product turned out well. The flat turned out a touch dryer than what I was hoping for but it was really good. I need to trim the point end more because it was really hard to carve. Also do you separate the point from the flat before carving? I have seen places where they get halfway across the brisket to the point and just turn it and keep cutting not separating the two.

I also did two racks of back ribs that turned out fine (I prefer spareribs but the butcher was out). My tube smoker went out (is this a normal occurrence?) so they missed an hour of smoke. I just threw in hickory chunks for the rest of the time.

I have seen it serve both ways, but I always separate the point, because it ALWAYS becomes burnt ends. Makes for more even consistent grain slices out of the flat as well.

Did your Tube get wet at all. just a few drips will make the pellet swell to twice their size and quit burning. The other reason they go out is lack of air flow, got to have good air getting to it, looks like you had it on the grate and usually propane smokers have plenty of air, so I am guess moisture might have been the issue.

I have seen it serve both ways, but I always separate the point, because it ALWAYS becomes burnt ends. Makes for more even consistent grain slices out of the flat as well.

Did your Tube get wet at all. just a few drips will make the pellet swell to twice their size and quit burning. The other reason they go out is lack of air flow, got to have good air getting to it, looks like you had it on the grate and usually propane smokers have plenty of air, so I am guess moisture might have been the issue.

In retrospect when I put out pellet flame when I started it up. Instead of staying smoldering, I may have blown the pellets out.

I think I may cut the flat off just for ease next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky