First No Wrap Ribs (baby backs) going on in a couple hours...nervous

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Glad to see you were happy with the outcome! I never wrapped ribs it seemed like to much work!

Reactions: sandyut
Glad to see you were happy with the outcome! I never wrapped ribs it seemed like to much work!
Its definitely more work but being new to all this I did want I was taught but since joining this forum I have learned so much and the new pit has raised my confidence level quite a bit so I am willing to try more.

I am cooking my first ever baby backs this coming Sunday, to celebrate the wife’s birthday. Definitely going unwrapped. Those look awesome.

I am cooking my first ever baby backs this coming Sunday, to celebrate the wife’s birthday. Definitely going unwrapped. Those look awesome

Sweet! Like I said my life LOVED them. it was rib redemption!

post them up! love to see others cooks!

You'll never go back. Just rub them the night before then put them in the smoker at 225. Six hours later they'll be ready to eat. Remember no peeking, leave the lid DOWN.
The only thing you have to do after that is eat them. Try not to ruin them with smeared on goop.
Sounds like they’re done in a short time witthout wrapping, why in competitions do they always wrap? Seems from this thread time wouldn’t be an issue but they all wrap with some braising liquid. I figured it was a time issue but seems that’s not the case. Is it just to get that squeeze butter and honey or whatever they use to add flavor?

Competition bbq is not backyard bbq. I've been to the Reno rib cookoff several times. We always buy ribs from several competitors' stands. My wife and kids always said mine were better. We're they really? We weren't buying what was turned in, but I have to tell you a lot of the ribs we bought were quite tasteless. Every stand had sauce they were selling and some of those sauces were fantastic, giving flavor to the ribs.

I have never wrapped or boil in a bag. Going to change tomorrow to hopefully recover from a bad rub that resulted in dry and slightly burned racks. I will use apple juice and vinegar in the recovery.

Competition bbq is not backyard bbq. I've been to the Reno rib cookoff several times. We always buy ribs from several competitors' stands. My wife and kids always said mine were better. We're they really? We weren't buying what was turned in, but I have to tell you a lot of the ribs we bought were quite tasteless. Every stand had sauce they were selling and some of those sauces were fantastic, giving flavor to the ribs.
I went to 1 "commercial" ribfest and noticed the same lack of meat flavor. Sauces were OK but not up to my standards. Smoked Mac and Cheese was the most memorable.

Current location has an annual rib competition of local restaurants. Some range from crap boiled and sauced to true smoked and basted. The best is OK.

A number of years ago they had an amateur sector. A friend of mine (no bias) had much better ribs than the professionals. If wife agrees that seals the deal.

Recovery from a bad smoke can lead to experimentation which is a good thing. Bottom line, good ribs can be had either wrapped or not but knowing what truly caused a dry & burnt rack will help direct the next attempt. BTW, the amount sugar content in the rub might have been a factor. Other factors such as actual grate temp vs a built-in therm, time, even the hog it came out of can contribute. I'll be the first to point at myself in regards to also being a factor. All it takes is getting distracted for a bit near the finishing time....

Last edited:
Reactions: drdon
After reading countless write ups on no wrap ribs, I going to try them today! Wife canceled us on a work gathering - thank god! which freed me up to cook - finally.

picked up three racks at Costco for $28. totally insane. thought there was two till i opened the pack.

Also leaving the membrane on - Al style. to be honest I was gonna pull it but it was so flimsy i couldn't get anything bigger than dime and fingered f-it.

Ill post up pick and more details shortly. A touch nervous about not wrapping - but read enough good things to give it a rip. Im thinking 225-250 till bend test pass and or 195 IT.

Wish me luck or last minute advice.
So I’m gonna give these a go on my next cook. Anybody have any experience doing this with spares so I can get some sort of gauge on how long to expect from spares opposed to backs?

Just wondering if you ever get up to the Nevada City area since you live in Roseville?

I used to get up there all the time back when I was involved with advertising and motorcycle riding. Nice courthouse, too! Although I'm not a lawyer, I had to represent the company in small claims court. Haven't been up there in probably four of five years, though. Nevada City is a true jewel of the Sierras.

So I’m gonna give these a go on my next cook. Anybody have any experience doing this with spares so I can get some sort of gauge on how long to expect from spares opposed to backs?
I just did the best ribs I ever have .... a rack of spares took 6 hours no wrap and they were incredible!!

Reactions: Richard Foster
Yep as do mine every single time. No mussi, no fussin and no complaining from the boss.
I assume you were somewhere around 225 with the temp.
225 on the button sir...you got the time and temps memorized...nice!

I could not believe how much better those ribs were doing them unwrapped!!! Do you have any idea how many racks I ruined by over cooking because I followed the 3 2 1 method and didnt even think to look at finished temps. Now at the 5 hour mark I temp probe and when they read 195-198 I lift them and do the bendy test...if they pass were are eating!!

I'm at 3600' so six hours at 225 always works for me. Lower down you could get away with a bit less time, higher up may take a bit longer.
Yep....thats why I start the probing at 5 hours and take em off when they are done! We think alot alike Richard!!

Sounds like they’re done in a short time witthout wrapping, why in competitions do they always wrap? Seems from this thread time wouldn’t be an issue but they all wrap with some braising liquid. I figured it was a time issue but seems that’s not the case. Is it just to get that squeeze butter and honey or whatever they use to add flavor?

I think it is really a combination of things. Part of it is getting the flavor profile they want like you said. Another big part is the tenderness which they can get tender quicker. For KCBS comps one of the parts of that is the bite factor. You should be able to take a clean bite out of the rib with out having to do a huge tug and also not having it fall of the bone when you bite into it. Also the appearance is a big part. They look for a certain color on the ribs and if it smokes too long they can get to dark for what the judges are looking for.

ok, these may be the best ribs I ever made - wife says they are - i am a harsher critic but they were seriously good! why in the hell did I ever wrap???

Thank you to Al, Chili, all those who helped me see the light! As I knew from other cooking - simpler = better.

View attachment 402193

I'm doing a rack of St Louis ribs tomorrow, and hope they look like this :emoji_medal:

Reactions: sandyut
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky