First MES30 smoke with AMNPS ... Too much?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

IntenseImage

Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
Lehigh Valley
Third time using the smoker (pork butt and brisket before) ... Doing some baby back ribs today. However, today is the first time using the AMNPS. Already I can tell I love it since there is literally no tending to the smoke!

But ... I wonder if I am getting too much airflow/smoke. You tell me ...

IMO yes a little too much. More white and less blue. I am starting to use the chip loader to throttle it back and getting bluer smoke that kinda wafts out.

How do you get that much airflow? It's not just the amount of smoke, but the "vigor" of the flow that seems a little high to me.

I used to use the AMNPS inside my MES 30 (I now always use it in my "mailbox mod"). Here is what the smoke looked like back then:

Back then I used a tin can and an elbow in place of the chip loader (you'll see that in the short video above) and I drilled five 1/4" holes in the can to increase the airflow compared to what I would get with just those three small holes in the MES chip loader. Even with that, I didn't get the air movement I see in your video.

This was chip tray pulled out a little bit w the chip dumped pulled out about 1.5-2 inches and rotated slightly ... Top vent fully open

How do you get that much airflow? It's not just the amount of smoke, but the "vigor" of the flow that seems a little high to me.

I don't get nearly that much smoke and I use the tubes!I like heavy smoke but that does seem excessive.

I also use the chip loader as an airflow regulator.Wind and humidity level are the determining factors in how little or how much I have the loader out.The only time I've ever had my MES chugging like that was on a windy day with the loader all the way out.

To the OP,what kind/brand of pellets are you using?

Hi there and welcome!

Have you checked to make sure you don't have a fire/flame situation on the AMNPS?
Are you sure there are not multiple rows burning at the same time?
Are you cooking something that is producing a ton of moisture (chicken)?
Do you have a lot of drippings going to the heating element area?

In general I think you are probably ok with that smoke but only burning 1 row of the AMNPS normally doesn't produce that much smoke. I've seen at times later in a smoke where the steam and smoke mix together to give you heavier looks like that. If that is the case then you are fine.

Hell I think in any case if that is the worst thickness of smoke you are fine :)

It's burning perfectly. I had adjusted the chip dumper not too long after that volume was rolling and it's been a light whisper since. Didn't really know which way was preferred

20180727_161734.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
Funny thing; I just had this sort of happen a few times in a row now. I have determined it is because previously I was basically lighting the pellets, putting them in within a minute of lighting them, half open top vent, no chip loader door..

Now I'm doing the whole 'wait 5 mins, then put them in' and the smoke level is much higher!

I think you have it now. I use the chip loader to regulate as well. I’ll need to make a few adjustments during the smoke but it regulates well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky