First MES30 Pork Butt [QView]

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rjp123

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Ontario, CANADA
I used a variant of Jeff's rub (same ingredients, slightly-random amounts from the bulk store) to coat an 8 lb pork butt and let it cure for 18 hours (rubbing 3 times, once upon purchase, once after 8 hours and then again before putting into the smoker).

This is my second smoke in the MES30 (analog) - my first was ribs (with cherry wood) which were great (albeit a little fatty due to the quality of the rib I bought on discount).  This butt was purchased from my regular butcher, trimmed nice and was only $17 (good for Canada pricing)

Smoker probe and meat probe are set, apple juice in my make-shift water dish, smoker is foiled-out for easy cleaning and the 6x6 AMNS is providing smoke via hickory wood.

It's way too late to be posting, but I need this ready for dinner on Sunday and given the likely 12 hour cook time I'm up at 4 AM - hopefully I'll figure out a better way of doing this in the future (sleep is good).

d285f922_PorkButtZeroHours.jpg

Will post a few more photos as the day goes on.  No more opening until at least 8 AM.

256fd471_PorkButt4Hours.jpg

The above photo is taken at 4 hours when I opened it up to add more smoke.

The butt is now off the smoker - it was on for total of 14 hours at 225 to 240 deg F.

I was never able to get the butt over 190 deg F meat temperature.  It did stall in the 160s at around 6/7 hours and then stalled for nearly 4 hours at 185 before I finally took it off.  I can't see an 8 lb butt taking 14 hours - but maybe I am wrong.  Should I have left it on even longer?

I'm letting it sit for 2 hours before the shred.  Further pictures to follow.

Do you have a differant thermo to check it with???  The mes one is notorious for being way off!  In my mes  the meat probes is 15 degrees off!!

cfd2ae6d_FinishedPorkButt.jpg

Here it is after resting for a while.  I'll probably drain the oil off before shredding it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you have a differant thermo to check it with???  The mes one is notorious for being way off!  In my mes  the meat probes is 15 degrees off!!

I use the Maverick smoker + meat probe thermometer (2 temps on 1 device).  I tested them to ensure they read 212 around boiling.

I just put my first pork butt in the MES. Now its off to bed cause I have the amnps in there for the smoke. I'm not all that sure when to take it off and foil it though. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky