First lamb ever w/ Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lancep

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
North Mississippi
So I've been wanting to do some Kentucky style mutton since the first time I read about it. I still have yet to actually find mutton. I finally broke down and grabbed a lamb leg from Costco so let's smoke it! Now I know a lot of folks say medium rare but to be honest, after having quite a few lamb steaks overseas I can firmly say....... I don't like it! Medium rare that is. So, I'm going to smoke it more like a brisket or shoulder.

Slathered with mustard and rubbed with salt and pepper overnight.

And onto the smoker

Got my mop all ready to go

Mopped about an hour and half in. Not sure if I'm going to foil or not but I'll decide on that here in a few hours. Happy Friday

Reactions: disco

Here we are about 3-1/2 hrs in. IT sitting about 166-7 ish. I'll check it in an hour. If it's stalled, I'll wrap it, but if not I may just let it ride. Smells pretty good though

It sure looks good!

Have you cooked lamb that long before or was this an experiment?

Was it tender & juicy?

Al

It sure looks good!

Have you cooked lamb that long before or was this an experiment?

Was it tender & juicy?

Al

I have never cooked any lamb period. I have had lamb steak in Bahrain so I knew I didn't like it rare so I figured I would smoke it like a shoulder. Came out juicy and vey tender. Also, the black bbq mop was a perfect compliment to the meat. Wife and oldest daughter really liked. Personally, I've decided I just don't like lamb. Just a little too gamey for my taste. But now I at least know that I can cook it.

I have to say I've picked up some lamb before at the local butcher shop but put it back, intimidation I guess. Don't want to screw up a more expensive cut of meat! Yours looks fantastic though. I might have to try your method out. Seemed to work well.

It is expensive and I ate a lot of it in the Middle East and Africa. I keep thinking about trying it here to see how I feel about it, but I'm with Lance. I don't know if I really like it enough to spend the money on it. However, this smoke looks pretty good and it would be fun to try something new!

So I've been wanting to do some Kentucky style mutton since the first time I read about it. I still have yet to actually find mutton.
 Personally, I've decided I just don't like lamb. Just a little too gamey for my taste. But now I at least know that I can cook it.
I think if you don't like lamb, you probably wouldn't like mutton.  I lived on an island that had sheep running wild on it.  Summer get togethers usually involved roasting one on an open fire.  We tried to take yearlings, but they still had a strong flavor.  When I moved off and went back to eating store bought lamb, I found it almost had no flavor, so mutton might not be for you.  I agree about the rare lamb thing, I smoke mine to medium, with no pink left, around 160*.  Good looking meal, keep on smokin'.

Last edited:
I think you're absolutely right Jasper. I'm happy with the way it came out and the mrs and the teenager like it. I, however, think I'll stick to cows.

I have to say I've picked up some lamb before at the local butcher shop but put it back, intimidation I guess. Don't want to screw up a more expensive cut of meat! Yours looks fantastic though. I might have to try your method out. Seemed to work well.
If you can get shanks try a slow braise ,they should be cheap & you can't overcook them.

I have a couple of shank recipes in nose to tail.

Try to get American Lamb.......very, very little game taste, but it costs more than the Austrailian Lamb.
Holey Kow....   I'm hoping American breeders aren't ruining lamb like they did pork....    Maybe they are breeding it to satisfy folks whom don't like the flavor of "REAL" lamb.....

Welcome to the new lamb...tastes like chicken.
th_HaHa7_ani.gif

They ruined pork here but old breeds are making a comeback.Costs way more but its much tastier meat.

Lamb is more about age & where its feeding.Just my opinion of course.

We have moved towards bigger style of meat producing sheep with little wool value.The Dorper the best example,they look like wooly barrels on legs.Before them the old school meat sheep were Dorset,Corriedales ,Border Leicesters.I can't remember the name of the breeds but the whole cheese industry in Spain,France & Italy has breeds of sheep that are very tasty lambsBloody ugly to look at but they make some great cheese Brebis just for starters.

There will be an uproar if the taste gets dumbed down.

Price war between the big supermarkets over leg of lamb ,just to get you in the door of course.I think its down to $8 a kg.

This post is making me hungry & its lunch time!

Looked good to me! 

I have never smoke a Lamb leg, but thinking of trying it when I get my Birthday present.

A trick I learned from my Dad, if ya don't like the Game taste, Soak it in Milk for a day rinse and Pat dry. Removes a lot of that Gaminess.

Looked good to me! 
I have never smoke a Lamb leg, but thinking of trying it when I get my Birthday present.
A trick I learned from my Dad, if ya don't like the Game taste, Soak it in Milk for a day
rinse and Pat dry. Removes a lot of that Gaminess.

My brother in law taught me to soak venison in ice water, but didn't even think about it. For $5 a pound though, I'd just as soon get a brisket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky